Honored Contributor

Re: 2021 $ Clothing Statistics

Whatever I talk about out loud comes up on my IPad. I've learned not to do that.

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Personally .... I'm glad they didn't publish how much those of us over 54 spent on clothing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@wilma wrote:

2021 Data from consumer spending on clothing in the U.S.

Apparel industry worth $2.4 trillion 

Women Age 16+ Spend on avg. $571 per year on clothes 

Women Age 45 - 54 Spend $793 per year 

Interestingly, they released no data for women over 54. 🤔

Average Woman's Wardrobe Value: $1000 - $2500

9% have more than $10,000 value

Men Age 16+ Spend $323 per year on clothing with men ages 45 - 54 spending the most. 

@

Any other comments? 

Esteemed Contributor

Even in years I don't buy much in the way of clothing...I am way over the $800 amount. My running shoes alone are in the $150 range and I typically buy 2 pairs a year. I also have had a thing about leather boots and yoga style jackets
the past few years. (Not worn together, lololol).

I will need to buy a few new things as I have lost a bit of weight the last 2 years. I was waiting to see if the wt would come back...it has not...so now I am searching for sales. I bought some tops from Chico's and 2 out of the 5 items already were delivered. I LOVE THEM!!
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I buy a lot of clothing and accessories, no retailer or online store has ever asked me for proof of age.  So I just wonder where these numbers come from.  

@chrystaltree Likely a survey.  This is not likely an empirical study.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I buy a lot of clothing and accessories, no retailer or online store has ever asked me for proof of age.  So I just wonder where these numbers come from.  

@gertrudecloset 

I don't think this was a survey. The article said these figures were based on actual consumer data. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

I don't think this was a survey. The article said these figures were based on actual consumer data. 

OK, got it. That would make it empirical.  Still wondering why they left out the older age cohort though.  Thanks @wilma .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

OK, got it. That would make it empirical.  Still wondering why they left out the older age cohort though.  Thanks @wilma .

@gertrudecloset 

You're welcome.

Not sure why the older age group was omitted, but I have heard & read that a lot of companies don't track spending after a certain age, because they are more interested in what younger more impressionable consumers are buying with their money. They adjust their marketing and advertising campaigns with those younger buyers in mind.