Super Contributor

2 Inspirations and 3 Interpretations...

All the pieces in my interpretations were already in my closet, except one...

INSPIRATION PIC #1...

This is such a no-brainer, it's hard to believe I never thought of it until I saw this pic (...). I like the simplicity of it, the one color with white and that it's a typical uniform for me. As soon as I saw it, I realized two things: (1) I will be wearing white jeans before Memorial Day, stooopid rule be damned; and (2) I will finally get more use out of my pink Aquatalia loafers! IOW, my interpretation will be a nice warm weather transitional outfit for me...

INTERPRETATION PIC #1...

Lucky Brand cotton gauze blouse (...). Levi's 724 straight leg (a true straight leg!! ), and old Aquatalia suede loafers. I'm sure wearing white jeans in April will be a bridge too...early for me (haha), but when the temps hit 80 in early May? Too bad, so sad about the rule. I rarely wear the loafers, so this gives me one more opportunity to wear them. Switch to sandals and jeans with a shorter inseam, and this is a typical summer "uniform" look for me...

INSPIRATION PIC #2...

I just get a kick out of this outfit. I love the print mixing in black and white and the hour glass silhouette. I don't know how she got the...I guess it's a cummerbund to stay up, but whatever, it's a kool look. This L.A. lady is a thrifting queen, and I believe most if not all these pieces were thrifted...

INTERPRETATION PIC #2(a)...

All I had was this Eileen Fisher cotton gauze blouse (shirt...whatever) in solid black. The belt (which, for all intents and purposes, is an obi belt haha) is an EF shibori silk oblong scarf that barely fits around my apple (...). EF espadrilles. The jeans are Hudson slouchy/baggy cropped jeans...not nearly as slouchy/baggy as the Dad jeans, but gives me the silhouette I'm experimenting with. (The Dad jeans look great with this outfit combo, too.)

INTERPRETATION PIC #2(b)...

I got to wishing I had a black checked blouse and black/white floral scarf similar to the inspo pic...the old pre-purge me would have run over Grandma and spent a small fortune searching for those pieces. But, then I remembered this red plaid Chico's blouse and thought I'd give it a shot. So, I ran up to the fabric store (Grandma is recuperating comfortably haha) and bought this red tulip material ($3.50) and made an obi belt. I love the overall affect, but I'm not in love with the tulips! And the cotton is okay, but it's not as fluid as silk (fabric store didn't carry silk in-store 'cuz thieves SIGH), so I fuss with it a bit when I get up from sitting. Also, I think this outfit reads unusual!! artsy!! and we all know how I feel about that. I've also tweaked the belt (made it shorter) 'cuz the bow was too big/long...don't want to look like a Christmas present!

I'd love to know what you think of interpretations 2(a) and 2(b).

Hope you're all doing well and having a wonderful week.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Respected Contributor

Re: 2 Inspirations and 3 Interpretations...

I like all 3 of your outfits @MacDuFF . I like your style and how all different pieces work well together. I especially like the addition of the black and white belt with the black top and shoes and how the different prints in look 3 are same colors and shoes a solid color in the print. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since you asked, I like the outfit in 2 (a), very nice. I don't care about the belt in 2(b). It's OK, but looks out of place with that outfit. The word "artsy" doesn't come to mind. I would pair the belt with a different outfit. It you like the style, continue to wear it. You DID ask for opinions, though.Woman Wink

BTW, about not wearing white before Memorial Day: that rule went out years ago, so wear those white jeans as much as you like. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

As always, polished and fabulous @MacDuFF.  Love the last outfit minus the tulip belt.  The belt itself is so pretty but maybe not with this.  That's just my mind's eye.

Your narrative is always a pleasure to read.  Thanks for your efforts!

ETA:  White on white with the tulip belt would be stunning on you.  Love those red slides, btw!

Honored Contributor

I like everything except the shorter length jean.  Makes one look shorter, that true straight leg is perfect on you.

Esteemed Contributor

I love 2a .... it's my favorite color combo and it looks terrific how you have it styled.

2b - I really like the blouse and jeans. As someone else noted ... the tulip belt would look great w/ white on white or even w/ the black and white outfit. But that's just my comfort level speaking about mixing patterns. 

You didn't ask about 1 ... but Iove that look on you. And I wear white jeans when I want, regardless of the date. But since it's raining and cool ... I'm waiting a bit longer. Mud spatters on white jeans are not my thing. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Always enjoy your posts!

Like you, I get inspo from photos and enjoy creating my version of same. Love yours!

FYI: version 2b is my fave. Very artsy and inspired with the use of mixed prints. Looks good in red. I'm betting you will find the perfect scarf belt in your thrifting travels.

Honored Contributor

My favorite inspiration photo is the first one with the light blue shirt. 

All your outfits look nice. I like white bottoms with solid and prints. I start wearing my white pants in April if the weather is warm and nice. 

Regular Contributor

I like your style @MacDuFF .

Are you a professional stylist?

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF  I love all your looks,  you look perfect in them all...casual yet classic.  The only thing I don't like is that tulip belt.  Thanks for another fun post.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth