Honored Contributor

Re: 2 Inspirations and 3 Interpretations...

Gee, I really like your diy tulip 'obi' belt.  

I have several fabric leftovers from years ago.......I might 'copy' you re: making an 'obi' belt.

Love both A and B outfits.

Have a nice weekend!  (Everyone)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Thanks @Iwantcoffee Heart

@teganslaw   No problem, I don't like the tulip belt either!

Hi @depglass.   I should do a separate thread about inseam lengths...I'm amazed at how many different opinions there are about that subject!  I like to mix it up with several different lengths in my closet.   I'm really happy with those straight leg Levi's, though.

@kate2357   I hear ya about mixing patterns. I'm not a fan of it for myself, but I have seen some outfits that I admired. The inspo pic is subtle...my red check/tulip obi interpretation isn't haha. I liked my black/white interpretation better, too,  but have picky MacDuff problems with the silk obi. Quite simply, it's too tight and uncomfortable. I wore that outfit today in a slightly different iteration and couldn't wait to take it off! 

Wilma . The blue/white inspo pic was my favorite of all the pics posted haha! I saw that pic of you in your white shorts and red/white tee...a perfect beach outfit and you looked great in it. You looked happy and relaxed and it was so nice to see your beautiful smile.

@ladyfox412   Thank you.  I've yet to figure out exactly what the heck the whole "professional stylist" thang actually is, but I'm quite sure I'm not one.  I'm just a woman who's always loved fashion and a retiree with too much time on my hands haha.  Welcome to the boards.

@MoJoV   Welcome to the majority opinion on that tulip belt.

@ROMARY   Hey, I like the idea of a patchwork obi belt!

This story makes more sense if you're on PBs, but you might get a chuckle out of it...regarding Lavern's comment about her "Buddha belly":   When I was in my early 20's (the bohemian days haha), I hung out with a small community of artists...musicians, dancers, writers, poets, painters. The painters used to tell me I had a Botticelli body. I know they meant it as a compliment, but even though I was flattered, who really wants a Botticelli body I ask ya!!? I started referring to my apple as "Botticelli belly" and that eventually was shortened to "Botti belly."  Buddha belly and Botti belly! What a team hahahahaha!

Anyway, where the heck was I? Oh yeah...

This inspo/interpretation wasn't my favorite, but I learned a few things:

(1) how to make an obi belt;

(2) I don't like tulip prints...tulips belong in the front of a house...in the Netherlands hahaha; and

(3) I can do a belt with the right pant silhouette, but the belt has to be placed above my waistline (i.e., above my muffin top, ugh) at the base of my rib cage, which is the smallest part of my torso, and flow in an a-line from there to create an hour glass shape.

BTW, I wasn't sure about the espadrilles with the black/white version.  I bought those specifically for transitional wear (love black with mid-tone denim, which I wear a lot in transition). But I thought they looked too...IDK...heavy (?) with the outfit, and I think that's because of the shorter inseam (whatever). So if I wear that outfit again it'll be with a more comfortable belt and black sandals in summer.

Tegan, Kate and @Elodie2 , I tried your suggestion...the tulip belt with a white blouse (and Dad jeans) and liked it better than with the red plaid Chico's...this was more appealing to my minimalist tendencies.  But, I'm going to work on the red plaid version.  @queendiva  I'm betting you're right that I'll eventually thrift a better red/white/floral print to make another obi belt.  I'm not willing to give up on the mixed pattern version just yet 'cuz ITA with your assessment of it...it's a very interesting look.

I wore the black version with the Dad jeans today to run a few errands and check out the thrift store.  Did I find something at the thrift store?  I'll give ya two guesses...

Have a good one y'all.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Valued Contributor

@MacDuFF   The white blouse, "dad" jeans (love 'em) and tulip belt look great!

I'm with you regarding the "stylist" thing...

In all my years of shopping and of all the shops I've patronized, never once have I encountered a store stylist. As a matter of fact, I'd rather be left alone to consider in private.

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you, @Elodie2 .  I don't want "help" when I am clothes shopping.  There was a small shop in my hometown where the owner would come right in the dressing room and start pulling and maneuvering the clothes.  She owned the shop with her husband and even he was "overly" helpful.  They had really nice things, but I just couldn't shop there because of all their "styling" help.  This was as close to a "stylist" in a clothing store that I ever encountered and I detested it.  

Hey, it's my body, my taste, so I am the stylist for me.  I don't need or want anyone's advice.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF  Of course I like the last two looks with the dad jeans the best.  I loved the shot of you in the thrift shop........upcoming editions for us to peruse???  If you get this obi thing down, you could add it to the Duffie line of assessories.  

Please do a thread on pant lengths.  Gee.......I wonder what my opinion will be???  Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Love your style.  I enjoy reading your posts.  Thanks for sharing!😊

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF wrote:

I wore the black version with the Dad jeans today to run a few errands and check out the thrift store.  Did I find something at the thrift store?  I'll give ya two guesses...

Have a good one y'all.

Love, love, love the belt w/ the white blouse, the purse and shoes. It looks so nice on you. And of course, I love the black and white blouse you are holding. Perfect w/ your white jeans too! Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know it sounds weird, but you'd be surprised at what you see in a photo that, for whatever reason, you don't see in a mirror. Case in point...

Am I the only one who (finally) saw these wonky pocket flaps (no pocket)?!

I bought this Chico's summer blouse on sale last year (end of season) and have worn it maybe 4-5 times and never noticed that the pocket flaps were wonky! I'm losin' it, I tell ya!  I either love or hate pockets on tops...it depends. No question, these had to go...

@Elodie2   Those Dad jeans (and my Rag & Bone joggers) are the most comfortable jeans I own.  The old me would have gone overboard and bought several more baggy jeans (and joggers), but I'm finding that these two (and two other super casual bottoms...WWC) are just enough for casual wear thankyouverymuch!

Elodie, @tends2dogs   Nordstrom sometimes has short videos on their website.  The sales associates used to introduce themselves as such ("Hi, I'm Jane, sales associate from Nordstrom South Park.")   Recently, I noticed the newer videos have substituted the word "stylist" for SA.   I don't really care what a corporation or an individual wants to call it (although it seems disingenuous to me), they are SAs in my book.  They may very well be helpful, but I'm not one who needs help dressing either.   I might be willing to hire an image consultant for the fun of it, but, at the very least, they'd need a certificate hanging on their office wall from AICI.

Tends...Duffie line of accessories hahaha!  Love it.

Pant lengths:   All my jeans/pants for winter and cool weather transition are long, hitting at the top of my foot or as close thereto as is possible.  As soon as the temps start rising, so do my inseams.  Some of the hems are frayed, IMG_3983.JPGand the pant legs are mostly wider and looser.  I have several different inseam lengths that I like.  To me (YMMV), I just know when I see it if an inseam is, to me, a flood or a kool, intentional style.  I'm also beginning to think it has a lot to do with the style shoe worn. I like my cropped lengths much better than my one pair of capri/pedal pushers (YMMV).  I have two pair of boyfriend jeans that ARE floods haha, but I cuff them to my preferred length depending on a few factors.   

@Jinlei   Hello and thanks...it's nice to see you again.

Hi @kate2357   That blouse is a brown and white Lafayette 148 for $6, I kid you not!  Image result for Thud Emoticon GIF  I'll get around to pics.  And, yes, perfect with white!

Hope you're all having a nice week.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Gotta love a good seam ripper...@MacDuff!  The pockets weren't wonky, but hang on to the extra material....you may get inspired. Woman Wink

I was in a thrift dressing room the other day and I was channeling you.  I ended up with 4 tops for under $20 and hey, no shipping and handling.  Gotta love that.  

How's that Inseam Thread coming along?  Dos and don'ts. Wore once, but not anymore.  What was I thinking or I wish I had 5 more pair of these......

Always looking forward to what you got going.......