Honored Contributor

Re: 10 Secrets Only Professional Closet Organizers Know

@DiAnne wrote:

I can't believe anyone has that few clothes.  I would have to get rid of 3/4th of my wardrobe to fit (especially shoes and bags).  

Same for me.  I could organize super neatly if I had that few clothing.  At my age, it's still a fun thing for me and I enjoy "dressing up" even though my lifestyle is mostly at home.  (All items in my closet fit so I don't feel the need to part with any unless I find I really won't wear the item again, looks worn, etc.)

Honored Contributor

I switched to Huggable Hangers about 6 or 7 years ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy enough at first so I have different colors.  I don't want to throw them out and buy more.  I needed a few more the last couple years and I bought a color I didn't already have and I use that color for my navy pants or jackets since sometimes it is hard to tell if some items are black or navy--I like the dark (Linea) navy.    It's a time saver.

Honored Contributor

Agree w/Daysdee

The secret is to have not many clothes.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I like the idea of having a lightweight folding step ladder near or in a closet.  At least somewhere on the same floor as the closet(s).  It is too much of a hassle thinking that it's way too much trouble to retrieve a ladder from the downstairs and/or basement. 

I keep one in my closet.  It's a small, one step. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Closets. We were in Europe on vacation & ended our trip w/ 3-4 days in Paris. I have always dressed in blk./wht./grey/neutrals, & felt quite at home with the way French women dress. French apartments have either tiny closets or none at all and the women rely on an armoire...hardly any hanging space.

It was then I purchased several books and started researching Pinterest on French Chic Capsule Wardrobes. It's a system of paring down your "closet" to basics you wear all the time in neutral colors that mix/match easily. It fit my style perfectly. 

Lots of things that were rarely worn were given away and replaced with what I needed to wear w/ a pr. of pants I loved, a classic black jacket, etc.

So now I have a huge walk in closet 10' X 10' & 12' high that's only half full. I also had my dresser built in along 1 wall and shleves for sweaters/shoes. It was an exercise room off MB on house plans, but there's a loft area that has our treadmill & weights instead. DH's closet is next to mine. My off season clothes are on separate rods way up (reached by ladder and switched to lower rods twice a yr.). 

With much less to choose from, it's a snap getting dressed each morning. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

from Real Simple-

#1-

Hybrid Zones Are Trouble

If there’s empty space, leave it! Don’t fill it with random items that don’t belong just because there’s room. Professional organizer Barbara Reich of Resourceful Consultants stresses that “the most important principle in closet organizing is to group like things together: Shirts with shirts, pants with pants.” That way, there’s no question about where to find those items when you need them.

organized-closet-graphic-wallpaper

I wouyld like to say that I HATE when pants are hung this way. They get a crease right in the middle of the leg! I hang ALL pants from the waistband on a hanger with clips to hold them.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  THANKS!  I love closet organizing tips!  I am happy to say I follow all of these tips now.  NOT that my closet is that visually attractive, but that after years and years at looking information like this, I am WAY ahead of where I started with just poking things in the closet!

I always appreciate seeing organization tips, and always pick up some good ideas from it.  

Yes, one thing I have learned is you simply can't have more clothes than you have room for.  It is an ongoing process, and not an easy one!!!

Dolly Parton once attributed a little rip in the "bodice" of her dress to "You can't put 10 pounds of mud in a 5 pound bag."  I say you can apply this to closets as well!  

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I switched to Huggable Hangers about 6 or 7 years ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy enough at first so I have different colors.  I don't want to throw them out and buy more.  I needed a few more the last couple years and I bought a color I didn't already have and I use that color for my navy pants or jackets since sometimes it is hard to tell if some items are black or navy--I like the dark (Linea) navy.    It's a time saver.

Love the Huggable Hangers, too. Purchased mine at TJ Maxx in pkgs. of 24 for fraction of QVC price.

Honored Contributor

Do not like to hang my slacks this way (folded on the hangers). It leaves wrinkles.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man