Honored Contributor

Re: 1 Jumpsuit/3 Outfits...your opinions...

I really like the idea of wearing your jump suit as a 'jumper'! 

With blouse or lightweight top underneath!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

could you do one of the Logo mesh tees or lace shrugs underneath?

not sure if they come in black

Respected Contributor

I originally voted for #2 but I think you hit the nail on the head with the turquoise shirt topper.   I also think you look very cute wearing the jumpsuit with the shirt underneath.  What a great idea.   That jumpsuit really is versatile and is going to be worth every penny of the $6.50 you paid for it. 😁

Honored Contributor

Extremely versatile........I'm going to re-think jumpsuits from now on.

Sleeveless, V-neck or Square-neck so I can wear various lightweight tops underneath to make a nice 'jumper'.  

I'm the one who loves the 'jumper' look.  Wish I would have kept my many jumpers (tweeds, etc.) from years ago.

Knowing myself, I would have kept them nice and clean.

Of course, in those days, we had to have them dry-cleaned.  

Now-a-days, luckily, the new fabrics (even tweeds) are machine or hand washable, hang to dry or machine tumble dry.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not see 4 and 5 either before.  Now those two are winners for sure.  You still can tell it is a jump suit but the tops work well with it.

Honored Contributor

Over the white t shirt with the hat and sneakers is so cute👍

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay    I lost a little weight during lockdown and am thrilled to be able to do a tie-front again haha.  It's not my favorite styling tweak, but it works with the jumpsuit because don't forget I'm trying a silhouette that is outside my norm...i.e., a wide-leg with a shorter, more fitted top.  The tie-front shortens and tightens the blouse and gives me the waist definition that I'm going for.  I have blouses in my closet that will work well as a tie-front and don't want to buy a shorter/fitted top.

@RealtyGal2   I agree with the old "rule" about short/fitted top over long/flowy/wide bottom...I like the proportions (I also like the proportions of the reverse "rule," long/flowy over skinny, which is my usual uniform).  Just a personal preference, but, I am not a fan of wearing a blouse open as a jacket.  Doing that with this jumpsuit would look like a big/long flowy top with wide, flowy pants and that isn't a look I'm going for here.  Generally speaking, it's too "bottom heavy" looking for me.  I hear ya about the heat...it's sweltering humid hot here in the Southeast, but I only own 3 sleeveless tanks and this sleeveless jumpsuit!  I have learned to embrace linen blouses!  

@ThinkingOutLoud   Were you around here when I did a year-long closet purge? If not, let's have a long, leisurely lunch, and I'll tell you the short version!  A few bottom lines (with apologies to veteran posters who are sick of reading about the purge)...  

*I spent a year purging my over-stuffed closet (tried on every single thing I owned in season, and "ruthless" was my middle name) ...

*ended up with a skeleton closet of just basics (my gf said I "gutted" my closet, which is true)...these basics were mostly the 20% of my clothes that I wore 80% of the time...

*spent another year slowly, methodically, mindfully filling in some holes and adding a few needed items (I recently finished the transitional section of my closet, which turned out to be the most difficult section)...

*it wasn't about my fashion or color choices as much as it was all about the insane, overwhelming quantity (enough to last a lifetime...there weren't enough days in the year to wear them all...clothes with tags still on, etc.) and the obsessive need to shopshopshop to keep up with trends (or the Joneses) and the next latest greatest "must have"...I have an entirely different mindset about shopping now...

*lately, I've been slowly and with specific intent adding some interesting/different pieces...I try to stick with the one in/one out rule...

*I have a stunningly minimal number of clothes compared to my pre-purge closet, but I wear 80% of them 80% of the time in rotation...almost every single thing goes with everything else...I always have something appropriate to wear...I love most of my pieces and the rest are functional/necessary.

During the first year, I read about/researched everything I could get my hands on about fashion, marketing (I'd be banned if I told you what I thought of most marketing strategies) and, specifically, the psychology of shopping (truly fascinating!).   I did check out Tuttle/Dress your Truth.  I'm sure I gleaned a few insights from her, but, frankly, I don't much trust people trying to sell me something, whether it's their "method" or their book or a duster that I must have as a completer piece...I'm not interested anymore in what the so-called professional stylists or color experts think.  I prefer the styling suggestions/ideas I got from my fashionista Mom and Aunts...they had my best interests at heart.  I'm 70 years old!  Granted, I've made plenty mistakes, but I pretty much know what colors and styles work best for me, especially after The Purge.

As to the hat...it may be reading an off shade of grey onscreen, but it's white and black in real life and it's obvious (it's kind of a tweed or speckled white and black...it might have a grey-ish hue from far away).  It's perfect with white or black (my base neutrals...specific shades of blue and pink are "my" colors) and is neutral enough to go with most of my summer pieces.

We're on the same wavelength about the accessories...I think it was Coco Chanel who said something about taking one thing off (???), so I took off the long necklace in #5 and will wear EITHER the hat OR the bold earrings.

@shoptilyadropagain   Yes, so many posters mentioned that #3 looked more like black pants and a top than a jumpsuit, that I nixed that outfit.  But then I got to thinking about it...okay, analyzing it...alright, fine, over-analyzing it (hahaha)!!   It went something like this:  So what?  If I wore a sweater over it instead of that blouse, then it looks exactly like the silhouette I'm going for and will work for the difficult transitional seasons...why should I buy a pair of wide-legged pants?  No one will know it's a jumpsuit if I wear a sweater and tuck away the side tie and voilà I have yet another outfit without spending any more and without cluttering up my closet!   And that's exactly what I did.  I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it soon cuz I cannot type anymore and I'm sure y'all are sick of this jumpsuit discussion!

I do truly thank you all for reading my tome...I mean thread! and suggesting ideas. It's been very helpful, and I appreciate it greatly.  Stay tuned.

Happy friends animated emoticon 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF - You're beautiful! I love your smile. The jumpsuit looks great on you. I think you could wear it by itself for sure, but if I had to make a choice I like Outfit #2. That's a really pretty blouse!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I know it's rather presumptuous of me to @ notify y'all as if you've been sitting on pins and needles waiting to see my bonus jumpsuit outfit, but I thought you might be interested since your comments/ideas helped me style it.  

These outfits are perfect for transitional weather, an area of my closet that is sorely lacking (I've given up on finding jackets for now), so I'm happy about that.  I need a pair of black mules for transition, which have been on my shopping list for many months...I'd prefer mules with these outfits to sandals (too summery) or boots (too wintery).  I'm undecided about the summery hat in transitional weather.

So, here are the styles that I've been wearing the past few weeks with items already in my closet.

STYLE #1

This style is a no-brainer with almost any button front blouse in my closet for warmer weather (and the sandals work with this style)...I might wear the hat with this style...

20210516_150048.jpg

STYLE #2...

My friend in real life suggested this instead of the white 3/4 sleeve tee, which she thought looked "too summery," so I switched to an old lightweight striped cropped sweater (which is a little bit more interesting than all white).  Mules would be much better with this outfit.  If I buy anything to wear with the jumpsuit, it'll be a thrifted tee similar to this one.  In the meantime, I'm good with this (although I'm not sure about the hat...seems "too summery" with it haha)...

20210523_153200.jpg

20210517_231038.jpg

BONUS STYLE #3...

I nixed the original outfit #3 with a popover blouse and belt because several posters mentioned that it covered up the fact that I was wearing a jumpsuit, so what's the point?  Might as well just buy a pair of wide-legged pants and wear a top over them...but I don't usually wear this silhouette, and I don't want to buy anything else in this silhouette.  OTOH, I liked the idea that it looked like I was wearing a top with a pair of wide-legged pants, and with the right top who would know I was wearing a jumpsuit (other than all ya'll hahaha)...it looks like I'm wearing a top and a pair of wide-legged pants.  So I tried a couple of sweaters with the belt and think it's perfect for cooler weather (with mules), and I have a couple other sweaters in storage that will work, too.

20210523_152313.jpg

20210605_143513.jpg

This was a fun, instructive adventure for me in trying something different (silhouette and jumpsuit).  Thanks again for your help in styling this jumpsuit from my closet!  

@Mindy D   @tucsongal   @on the bay   @moonandthestars 

@Hippiified   @DiAnne   @Foxxee   @Terrywu   @ThinkingOutLoud 

@chessylady   @sunshine45   @jonbon   @haddon9 

@Roscoe the Rascal   @Faimom   @author   @jackthebear   @itsmagic 

@Greeneyedlady21   @Teddixat   @PINKdogWOOD   @Leggett28 

@ROMARY   @Skezeldog   @MoJoV   @Thats Me   @sunshine 919 

@RealtyGal2   @shoptilyadropagain   @beach-mom 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF - How pretty! I love turquoise colors, so of course #1 is my favorite. The shoes and bag complement the outfit so well. I'm love sandals of any kind, so I think the ones you're wearing look great - they certainly don't look too summery to me. I have a little problem with #2. I don't think the hat and sweater go together at all. I think the hat would be perfect with #1. The grey sweater is pretty, but I would wear something like that in late summer/early fall. I think a light white summery sweater would work better. I love #3 and #4. What a great way to wear your jumpsuit!  Smiley Happy