Esteemed Contributor

who is your internet service provider?

I've had AT&T for a few years and got a great promotional rate last year when I changed to their U-Verse service. I was told that when that promo rate expired I could call them and receive a comparable rate. however, now that it has expired my rate has gone up considerably and when I called they said they could only offer me a higher speed at the same charge that I now have.

I would like to know what other wireless providers offer great rates and who you all are happy with.

yes, I have Googled, but didn't find a lot of information. AT&T seems to rule the world.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

Re: who is your internet service provider?

I`m afraid you`re right.

Honored Contributor

I don't know we also have AT&T. Do you mind me asking how much you  pay monthly & what the speed is supposed to be on your AT&T U-Verse? I have AT&T but not U-Verse. AT&T keeps calling. I'm sure they want me to switch to U-Verse internet. U-Verse TV is not available in our area. MY MIL switched over to this when they called her. She won't like not being able to keep her bill at a lower rate. We have AT&T HSI Elite for $52 per month. Suppose to have Download speed up to 60 Mbps & Upload speed up to 512 Kbps.

Respected Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen to me with AT&T. I have also thought about trying to find a lower rate carrier but I do like the Uverse - it's been very reliable and like you said not many options. 

Regular Contributor

I had the same thing happen with AT&T uverse.  My promotional rate expired in October.  I went back to getting service from the cable company.  Same speed and half the price of what AT&T was going to charge.  If you get cable from them it is even cheaper, but I get satellite tv service from Dish and am very satisfied. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't know we also have AT&T. Do you mind me asking how much you  pay monthly & what the speed is supposed to be on your AT&T U-Verse? I have AT&T but not U-Verse. AT&T keeps calling. I'm sure they want me to switch to U-Verse internet. U-Verse TV is not available in our area. MY MIL switched over to this when they called her. She won't like not being able to keep her bill at a lower rate. We have AT&T HSI Elite for $52 per month. Suppose to have Download speed up to 60 Mbps & Upload speed up to 512 Kbps.

Nightowlz, I never heard of AT&T HSI Elite or download speeds of 60mbps and upload speeds of 512 kbps. I currently have 12mbps for $59/month.  before my promotion expired I was paying $39.95/mo. for 12mbps.

what they offered me when I called was 18mbps for $52/mo.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

We used to have CenturyLink and were very happy with it.  The price was good and it was fast.   The area we moved to two years ago and now we have THE WORST provider in the universe - HughesNet.  OMG they are awful, awful, awful!!!  Slow and unreliable and expensive.  Unfortunately it was our ONLY option.  Trust me, we called everyone and they were it.  If something else ever becomes available we will dump them like a hot potato.

Honored Contributor

Your rate is usually best when you bundle internet with phone and television.  Have you done that or you are looking for just internet service?

Honored Contributor

I have uverse internet.  It's $42 a month.  I'm not sure what speed it is.  I think it's in the middle.

Valued Contributor

Good morning~we have COMCAST with XFINITY. It's wonderful. I don know how the price would add up. You'll have to compare apples to apples. We have a lot of extras so of course, we pay more. But, their prices are reasonable and service is great.  Hope this helps a bit.