Esteemed Contributor

Re: suggestions please for tablet for young child

On 8/5/2014 Alsee said: I have to agree with Spunkyspouts - lets just let kids be kids for a little while

I agree.

I'm all for technology, and I love it! But for a 3 y.o? Yes, I know kids start that young (and younger), but I agree that kids should be kids. There will be plenty of time for everything else later on. All in due time, which will come soon enough.

Kiss

Super Contributor

The excellent pre-schools & Kindergarten schools are using iPads.

My grandchild is using an ipad since pre-school..She reads everything..

;

Here Maths skills are at a 5th grade level... She just turned six...

:

Her parents want her in class with children her age so every day she

went to the higher classes with about 5 other children from her class..

:

ALL the children in her class are bright and test above their grade level

;

But my grand-daughter and a few others test way above their grade levels..

and that is because they were exposed to iPads very early in their young

lives... Some of it is hereditary because my mother, 2 sisters, and nieces

all tested above their grade levels way before the invention of the iPad.

;

The iPad just helps

Trusted Contributor

How did we do so well in school and college, some of us with Masters, MBA's, etc - with no Ipads. Honestly speaking, most kids use them for games and surfing the web. A three year old needs books, educational toys, dolls and stuffed animals. And they should be playing outside with family and friends. We can start teaching at an early age but electronics can wait a few more years.
Frequent Contributor

My son has gifted each of his kids and IPad mini , the oldest of 10 received a reg ipad! The 2, 3 and 5 years old had them broken within 6 months. Two were able to be fixed, (screens,,,$125. Each) but not the third. I would suggest an inexpensive android until he or she is a bit older! Kids are kids after all! Edited to say that the 2 and 3 yr old were WAY to young for that gift! The love their lego's however. Lol
Esteemed Contributor

My 3 yr old vs uses a 7 " kindle fire (currently on sale at amazon for $129). In September I am enrolling him in Abc Mickey mouse.com, an online tablet based program (7.95 mth). This tablet is very fast and with a $10 padded cover pretty indestructible. I buy him kids books on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Hoping I have grandkids before one of these wonderful machines relaces the grandma.
Honored Contributor

You want to give a 3 year old a relatively delicate electronics item that costs hundreds of dollars? You could buy a lot of educational and fun toys with that money.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I think IPad would be nice for a kid, but Kindles are more affordable and the apps are cheaper.