Honored Contributor

Re: spoofing, call blocker TSV

I have a recording on my line put there by my phone company (CenturyLink).   When a caller dials my number he gets a recording that says,  "this number does not accept sales calls.   If this is a sales call,  hang up now and add this number to your DNC  list.   If it's not a sales call,  press 1" .  Only then does my phone ring.

I get maybe one ring from an unknown area code or sales person every two weeks.   It's practically eliminated a major annoyance.  I've never gotten the IRS call.

Call your phone company and see if they have anything that would help you.   If you answer all the calls you get,  you're asking for trouble.  I don't answer any calls with unfamiliar numbers.  Usually salespeople hang up after 3 or 4 calls because they're not interested in talking to your machine.  If the caller persists and rings many tines, I answer it, and it's usually legit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@January121wrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

I've received a few that displayed my home phone and my name.

@proudlyfromNJ ..... me too ... the first time it happened I said to myself WTH? ..... lol

I get those too. It's like that old horror movie "When a Stranger Calls" where they're tracking the killer and the police call back to say, "The call is coming from inside the house!" Apparently a few telemarketers are here with me and I've just never bumped into them. (Lucky for them! I might just be the psycho killer in that scenario.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt   The QVC Call,Blocker  doeswork on all handset phones in your home.  You do not have to be at your main phone to block calls.

All you need to do it pick up any  handset and press #2.  Your display will show that that number has now been blocked.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

@January121wrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

I've received a few that displayed my home phone and my name.

@proudlyfromNJ ..... me too ... the first time it happened I said to myself WTH? ..... lol

I get those too. It's like that old horror movie "When a Stranger Calls" where they're tracking the killer and the police call back to say, "The call is coming from inside the house!" Apparently a few telemarketers are here with me and I've just never bumped into them. (Lucky for them! I might just be the psycho killer in that scenario.)

@gardenman ..... LOL 😆 ..... IT IS KIND OF SCARY WHEN IT HAPPENS!!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzykeewrote:
My guess, it is that number. We have been dealing with the spoof calls for over 6 months. I have called the numbers back & I get the real person whose number has been "hacked". Usually they are unaware that this has happened. Calling the phone company (we have a land line) is of NO use. They say to call the law enforcement officials which is of no use either. I now leave a message on my answering machine saying that we moniter ALL calls because of spoofing & to please leave a message or else their number will be blocked. It's sad that we are paying for this harassement & companies refuse to do anything about it.

Someone called me asking why I called (I didn't).  Must have been someone spoofing my number.