Frequent Contributor

When the robo call displays a local number on your caller ID but they are actually calling from some other number, which number are you blocking?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: spoofing, call blocker TSV

@Wricardoswrote:

When the robo call displays a local number on your caller ID but they are actually calling from some other number, which number are you blocking?

GOOD QUESTION! I was wondering about that too and also I was wondering what happens when you get one of those calls that appears to be coming from your very own number, would it block the real phone number it's coming from?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wricardoswrote:
 . . . which number are you blocking?

The number displayed on your screen.

Honored Contributor

You'd be blocking the fake number, unfortunately.   I get these all the time and they just keep changing how the number shows.  It's just terrible that people can do this!  Smiley Sad

I block a few calls a day that have my prefix which, btw, is a very old one that's obsolete but that doesn't matter.  They just keep using different numbers so it looks like (if you're a bonehead I guess) it could be coming from somebody you know.

Honored Contributor

I've received a few that displayed my home phone and my name.

Regular Contributor

My guess, it is that number. We have been dealing with the spoof calls for over 6 months. I have called the numbers back & I get the real person whose number has been "hacked". Usually they are unaware that this has happened. Calling the phone company (we have a land line) is of NO use. They say to call the law enforcement officials which is of no use either. I now leave a message on my answering machine saying that we moniter ALL calls because of spoofing & to please leave a message or else their number will be blocked. It's sad that we are paying for this harassement & companies refuse to do anything about it.
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

I've received a few that displayed my home phone and my name.

@proudlyfromNJ ..... me too ... the first time it happened I said to myself WTH? ..... lol

Esteemed Contributor

They are saying that we can block an additional 1500 calls in add ition to the 5000 that are already programmed in the product ... my question is what happens when we block the additional 1500 numbers? .... do we have to start deleting some of the numbers or is the product no longer any good? 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I posted a review on this TSV a bit ago but think I can remember what I said

5 ++++ stars.   We have had it now about 5/6 months.  It is the best thing I have ever purchased and not just from QVC

I had signed up for "Do Not Call" list which only helped in the beginning. Then my cable comappy suggested a free service through a web site called "no more robo" and it certainly worked better than the DNC list

The block now is wonderful...I may get 3 calls a week

When I use the BLOCK NOW button, I never see that # again.  I just block the  # that comes up whether is a "real" # or not...

If youi make a mistake blocking it can be undone easily.  You also can go back and delete numbers that you received when you are out etc. 

You can undo blocked numbers if you reach a point that you have blocked the 1500.  Many of the robo calls won't call again if they can't get you after three times so you can delete those numbers using the oldest first.

The calls that I get tha mimic my phone number are usually off by one  number each call so I block them. 

If you can afford it, buy it.

Honored Contributor

People just need to be sure to know that it has to be hooked up to the main phone, not just anywhere.  So, for example, if you have a set up where your main phone is not in a main traffic area, you'll have to hustle to get to it when it rings.

That's the difference of just having the ability in the phones, assuming one has phones around the house.  My house is kind of large and my main phone is upstairs in my office, hooked up to the Charter modem.   I don't spend much time up there anymore so it would be extremely inconvenient for me.  

I have to say that this company seemed honorable, however.  I actually ordered one from the company some time back and then realized it, after the fact, and that it would not be a good choice for me.  I contacted them and they graciously cancelled my order.

Kudos for that, but I find that just having phones that have a 'block' button on each handset works much better for me, since I have handsets in all the rooms where I spend time.

Just an FYI, FWIW  Smiley Happy