Valued Contributor

my battery died on my hp laptop.since i never take it out can i just take out the dead battery and use it on the a/c current plugged in as a desktop

Honored Contributor

Re: laptop without the battery

@heart of savino- the battery in my HP laptop also died (years old).  I haven't bothered to remove the battery.  I just use the laptop with the a/c adapter.

I won't remove the battery until I decide to buy a replacment.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@heart of savino  I have an 8 year old laptop with the original battery.  Just leave the battery in it and plug the charger into the outlet like you're charging it.  I should work fine that way (mine does).  I like it better plugged in anyway because the screen is brighter.  I always use it in the same place anyway.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

You're getting good advice from @2blonde and @Venezia.  You can plug the laptop into AC power and continue using it without a battery.

Either remove the dead battery or don't. Won't matter. If you are nervous about electrical "incidents" (unlikely), take out the batery and just use with the power cord.

But remember, now your laptop is portable, but not useful without the power cord! If you don't travel or use it as a mobile device, you needn't replace the battery. But you can't leave home without the power cord.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had a battery in mine for a year or more. It never leaves the house except maybe out on the deck where I have an outlet. I didn't want to spend the $65.00 for a new one. I could get 2 months of meds for that.

Respected Contributor

@heart of savino

While in FL my DH’s old laptop’s battery finally died.  I found a replacement on Amazon.  Under $20 if I remember correctly.  Works fine.  Good luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill