Esteemed Contributor

A family in our community lost their house in a fire which started when the computer was on all night on top of an upholstered ottoman. The computer got hot enough to set the ottoman on fire.

Respected Contributor
On 5/26/2014 chickenbutt said:

I just use laptop stands that allow for air circulation. That works perfectly and I don't have to worry about further heating up the laptop by having something plugged into the usb port all the time and the fan blowing dust into the computer.

Before I got my first laptop (I use all laptops now, for the last several years), I did some research on it. One of the worst things you can do is not allow for proper circulation and cause the laptop to get overheated.

Most of my laptop stands are steel and have a mesh type platform onto which the laptop sets so that air circulates around it. They all have several height adjustments.

I can be on a computer for many hours and it stays totally cool. Mine are all 15-16" screen laptops. My husband has two 17" laptops and he uses the same stands I do with no problem.

I'm also big on keyboard skins. Around here it's a dust bowl, plus we have the dog who is always blowing hair. A skin just fits exactly on the keyboard and stays in place. It keeps out dirt, dust, hair, and whatever it is that he always gets all over his computers (yikes!).

Every laptop I've purchased I've been able to find a keyboard skin for that exact model so that they fit perfectly and you don't even know they're there. You can just take it to the sink from time to time and wash it with soap and water, dry it, and back on it goes.

When you buy a computer that doesn't have vents on the bottom, this isn't a problem.

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/26/2014 chickenbutt said:

I just use laptop stands that allow for air circulation. That works perfectly and I don't have to worry about further heating up the laptop by having something plugged into the usb port all the time and the fan blowing dust into the computer.

Before I got my first laptop (I use all laptops now, for the last several years), I did some research on it. One of the worst things you can do is not allow for proper circulation and cause the laptop to get overheated.

Most of my laptop stands are steel and have a mesh type platform onto which the laptop sets so that air circulates around it. They all have several height adjustments.

I can be on a computer for many hours and it stays totally cool. Mine are all 15-16" screen laptops. My husband has two 17" laptops and he uses the same stands I do with no problem.

I'm also big on keyboard skins. Around here it's a dust bowl, plus we have the dog who is always blowing hair. A skin just fits exactly on the keyboard and stays in place. It keeps out dirt, dust, hair, and whatever it is that he always gets all over his computers (yikes!).

Every laptop I've purchased I've been able to find a keyboard skin for that exact model so that they fit perfectly and you don't even know they're there. You can just take it to the sink from time to time and wash it with soap and water, dry it, and back on it goes.

I use a USB plug in Hub There is not a power drain on the battery when using a cooling fan.