Honored Contributor

iphone to Galaxy S8 - Opinions

Is anyone a former iPhone user who bought a Galaxy S8 or other high end Android phone like a Pixel or top of the line LG after using an iPhone?

What is your opinion on the user experience of the Galaxy S8 (specifically) vs the iPhone? Better? Not as good? Just "different?" How hard was it to plunge straight into an Android phone (not having used one) and be functional with it right off the bat? How was it transferring data (photos, etc) from your iPhone to the Galaxy?

What do you much prefer that one has and the other doesn't, i.e. what feature(s) does the iPhone have that you really miss? What feature(s) does the Galaxy have that the iPhone doesn't that you love.

Convince me. I'm about done with iPhone, but thatsa lotta $$ for either phone and I don't want to make a hugely expensive boo-boo.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: iphone to Galaxy S8 - Opinions

Love my I Phone have a Mac Android phones do not sync well with out major issues. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Youngest son (a Network Engineer for a major hospital) had iPhones for years and broke away to a Samsung 7 and loves the Android.  However he's a comptuter savant and this was no problem for him at all.....

For me, it's the iPhone (have the 6+) and will probably upgrade again to another iPhone even though I've played around with son's Android and don't think I'd have a problem.... but for me it's because it's so intuitive, practically no learning curve, I love it......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've never had an Iphone but I have an Galaxy S7 Edge and love it.  I had an S5 and upgraded to the 7.  

The one thing I would warn about getting like an LG or a "less popular" phone is if something happens, they are harder to fix because people don't have the parts for them as readily as other phones.  My DH had the LG G3 and it broke so he took it to a guy to fix it and the part had to be ordered so he was without a phone for nearly a week. 

My sister has an Iphone and always has so I've used her phone but I love my android.  But I'm one that hates change and I don't adapt well.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Love my I Phone have a Mac Android phones do not sync well with out major issues. 

"Do not synch well" means ??? 

I synch my iPhone with my iPad. What would I synch an Android phone to? I don't expect to synch it to the iPad. Do you mean back up? Update OS?

Super Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I've had both, but overall I prefer android. I love my Galaxy S7 Edge, but you're right, oxox, about some of the sync issues. ❤
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Honored Contributor

I've had iPhones for 3-4 years. Mostly like them a lot, but I have issues specific to my situation that make iPhones no longer so viable.

I live in an area which has sucky coverage period. Verizon is the only carrier that gets any kind of signal at my house at all - no other carrier does. Boosters of any type (antennas, special range extenders, etc) make no difference - it's geographically where the house sits.

However, it's more than that. Every single call that comes into my house on my phone drops after the first ring. My niece has a 5S. I have a 6S. Even with our sucky reception, her phone works fine here - she can make and receive calls all day long.

In researching this, I have read in many places all over the internet that after the 5 phones, something is different in the innards of the phones that leads to bad reception and dropped calls in a certain percentage of iPhones going forward, to include the 7 phones as well. No one is sure whether it's the antenna or something else. I have replaced the SIM card and Verizon has verified that all my setting are as they should be - yet my phone is useless to me at home, where I actually need it most. I have tried it out of the case - no difference, inside or outside. Apple doesn't acknowledge the issue. Muuuuch discussion of this on Apple and other forums. Seems to be worse on Verizon - whom I am stuck with.

So I don't want to spend pushing $1000 on a brand new iPhone (when the 8 comes out) that may very well do the same thing. All things considered I'd probably prefer an iPhone, but not into throwing good money after bad. The phone was purchased in LA and worked fine there. Six months later I moved 350 mi away. Can't go back to original store, and phone is now old enough so that any help from Verizon is not an option.

That's my reasoning for thinking of a Galaxy S8.

Honored Contributor

I'm actually more tech saavy than my kid is and she switched to android from iphone primarily because of cost and her friends encouraged her. She told me I wouldn't like the android. But I'm also all Apple and love the integration between my desktop and phone. I love handoff, have mac only software on my desktop and love that my iphone and mac seamlessly and effortless share data automatically anytime they're on the same wifi network. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I switched from being a die-hard HTC fan for years to the Samsung S8+...wow!  I have had my new phone for a week as stated in a previous thread & I say try it @Moonchilde. This is one sexy phone & even though I have a mini iPad & a Mac desktop, I for some reason favor android phones.  Ck out the Smart Switch app which allows you I believe to transfer your iPhone files to the Samsung.  I can return it in 14 days if I don't like it.  However, it is without a doubt the most awesome looking phone out there IMO & a dream to navigate.    

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @BornToShop. I don't need to buy right away, but am trying to gather all the info I can in advance of when I do buy (I'm thinking within 6-9 months). I have read about Smart Switch and I liked that there were so many diferent ways to do it, not just one. It'd primarily be photos I'd want switched, and Contacts would be nice but not mandatory (I don't have that many numbers and could do it myself if I had to).