Honored Contributor

Re: iPhone peeps, I have a question

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@glb613  Because I find actual customers and users are more truthful than sales people.  

You must not read this board much.  Most people don't know squat about electronics or technology.  Devices like phones and security systems have Sim cards which only work with a certain cellular carrier.  This is why you need to find out if you can buy an iPhone which can be used with your carrier.  So, check with T-Mobile or Apple. 

@Laura14

You will find information about unlocking, Sim cards and and carriers on Apple's site.

The next thing to consider , which new phone to buy and how much storage will you need.

An iPhone does not have a micro SD slot.  

Apple gives customers 5GB of free cloud storage. This will backup your apps. You can buy extra storage or you can use Google tools on an IPhone.

Techmeout on YouTube  did a nice video about moving from using an iPhone to Android smartphone. 

Just 5GB? That's not a lot these days. Modern apps tend to eat a lot of space and 5GBs would fill up in a hurry. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@glb613  Because I find actual customers and users are more truthful than sales people.  

You must not read this board much.  Most people don't know squat about electronics or technology.  Devices like phones and security systems have Sim cards which only work with a certain cellular carrier.  This is why you need to find out if you can buy an iPhone which can be used with your carrier.  So, check with T-Mobile or Apple. 

@Laura14

You will find information about unlocking, Sim cards and and carriers on Apple's site.

The next thing to consider , which new phone to buy and how much storage will you need.

An iPhone does not have a micro SD slot.  

Apple gives customers 5GB of free cloud storage. This will backup your apps. You can buy extra storage or you can use Google tools on an IPhone.

Techmeout on YouTube  did a nice video about moving from using an iPhone to Android smartphone. 

Just 5GB? That's not a lot these days. Modern apps tend to eat a lot of space and 5GBs would fill up in a hurry. 

@gardenman

Most folks who use iPhones either buy  storage from Apple or has a data plan which includes it. 

Respected Contributor

Five GB of free storage is iCloud storage.  Internal storage depends on which model you buy.  My iPhone has 64 GB of internal storage. Anyone who stores what they can't afford to lose on an iPhone, iPad or any other device is very foolish.  You should be off loading the data to either your computer, an external hard drive or cloud storage on a regular basis. My iMac's hard drive recently failed and it's a good thing I had done a back up just 2 weeks prior. If I hadn't, everything new would have been lost. 

With portable devices it's even more important.  Phones get lost or stolen all of the time!  Please don't base your decision on whether a phone has a SD slot or not. You can always buy a phone with the amount of storage you need.  And since you are backing up and off loading your data on a regular basis, you really don't have to have a huge amount. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

Apple has a upgrade program  to help customers buy a phone.

You can keep your data plan with this program. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 I was a tracfone user for years (LG) --I just switched over to an iPhone, bought the new SE. 

LOVE it.  It's smaller than I wanted but the processor is fast and their technical support is AMAZING!  

I went with Tmobile and am paying monthly but I did ask if I could do prepaid and yes you can.  I've just been away from home working so much my data is going through the roof.  Tracfone gave me the best service.  The 3 guys working at VZ wouldn't even acknowledge my presence and when one finally did he shoved a paper in my face and started raising his voice.  Left quickly- not getting my business so not sure if they would even offer prepaid. 

good luck, highly recommend the new  iPhone.  let us know! 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum  Thank you very much!  This was so helpful.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

Apple will not have a iPhone event until October sometime.