Trusted Contributor

iPad mini 4 and photo storage

I just bought an iPad mini 4 128gb.  I want to use it to store photos from an upcoming trip DH and I are going on.  I use the slick little Apple sd card reader accessory to transfer pics from the card to the iPad.   I have an iPad Air with 32gb of storage.  It's running out of space.  How can I load the pics onto the iPad mini 4 and not have them sync onto my iPad Air?  Is this possible? Thanks. DW

Respected Contributor

Re: iPad mini 4 and photo storage

I  think if they both  share the same apple ID it ill psync to all your apple devices automatically. you may have to ask apple support or sign into the ipad air with a different ID/create new ID for the ipad air

Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

I just bought an iPad mini 4 128gb.  I want to use it to store photos from an upcoming trip DH and I are going on.  I use the slick little Apple sd card reader accessory to transfer pics from the card to the iPad.   I have an iPad Air with 32gb of storage.  It's running out of space.  How can I load the pics onto the iPad mini 4 and not have them sync onto my iPad Air?  Is this possible? Thanks. DW

How do you backup your iPads? 

Honored Contributor

You can go into the device thay you don't want the photos to go to, in Settings you can say Synch this or that but leave photos unchecked. I bought a new 128 GB pro and my phone is only 16 GB so I turned just photo synching off on the phone.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Just check the sync options for each device.  I have 2 iPads and an iPhone and they all backup differently.  No way I want all the kid games on my phone.

Trusted Contributor

I have all my devices set to backup when they are plugged in ...locked and connected to wifi...I have also backed up thru iTunes.  I have pics on sd cards....cds and in prime photo.  So I have multiple backups.  I just wanted an easy way to turn off photo syncing on the old iPad Air.  What I did was toggle off iCloud Photo Library in settings of the old Air.  That seemed to be my solution.  All my other devices...iPhone...iPad mini 4 and iPod are syncing fine.   Thanks to everyone that replied.  DW

Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

I have all my devices set to backup when they are plugged in ...locked and connected to wifi...I have also backed up thru iTunes.  I have pics on sd cards....cds and in prime photo.  So I have multiple backups.  I just wanted an easy way to turn off photo syncing on the old iPad Air.  What I did was toggle off iCloud Photo Library in settings of the old Air.  That seemed to be my solution.  All my other devices...iPhone...iPad mini 4 and iPod are syncing fine.   Thanks to everyone that replied.  DW

The reason I asked, you can select what is shared and what you backup.   You don't have to sync all of your devices so everything is shared and all devices have the exact same data. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @glb613 I was mostly just concerned with the room the pictures took up.  

BTW this little mini is great..it's a lot lighter in weight.  It's gonna make carrying it around traveling so much easier on my shoulder than the heavier iPad Air.  DW

Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

Thanks @glb613 I was mostly just concerned with the room the pictures took up.  

BTW this little mini is great..it's a lot lighter in weight.  It's gonna make carrying it around traveling so much easier on my shoulder than the heavier iPad Air.  DW

I have an iPad 3 and haven't turned it on for months.  I thought I'd use it more but, I find the mobile apps or mobile versions of websites annoying.  When it dies or becomes too obsolete I can't use it, I doubt I replace it. I do use it when I travel but otherwise, not so much.  

I use my iMac the most until my back got so bad and it was too difficult to sit at my computer cabinet.  I used my Macbook during while I struggled with pain.  I had surgery, my back no longer hurts and things are back to normal. It's a good thing we have choices.  If the only device to use was an iPad, I wouldn't be happy.  

Trusted Contributor

I've gotten used to the mobility if using my iPad .....I do like using a desktop too...and thought I'd never like the iPad as much as I do.  Like you said we have choices...I feel fortunate to be able to have a few...

Glad  you were able to get  relief from your back pain....DW