Super Contributor

iPad Pro Air Virtual Keyboard ‘sticking’

Hi,,does anyone know cause or way to try to fix? It has been happening intermittently but more often. Keyboard freezes, comes back, have to press letters repeatedly. Sometimes whole screen freezes. Cleaned screen and  cleared history and website data. iPad about 5 years old, not sure if I should replace vs. repair. Thank you for any advice. Susi.

Honored Contributor

Re: iPad Pro Air Virtual Keyboard ‘sticking’

@Susic wrote:

Hi,,does anyone know cause or way to try to fix? It has been happening intermittently but more often. Keyboard freezes, comes back, have to press letters repeatedly. Sometimes whole screen freezes. Cleaned screen and  cleared history and website data. iPad about 5 years old, not sure if I should replace vs. repair. Thank you for any advice. Susi.

google how to do "hard reset for iPad". that should help

r u current  on IOS updates?

Super Contributor

Yes,  did hard reset several times. Updates all done as soon as I get notices.

Respected Contributor

It would be probably more to repair then to get a new one.  5 years is old.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@meem120 

Have you called Apple on line help?

You can web search the number.  🍎 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susic wrote:

try live chat with Apple,

last resort is to set up as new which wipes out the junk 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susic wrote:

@Susic wrote:

@Susic,

In addition to the suggestions on this thread,

two other great ways to clear up a myriad of odd glitches:

--   Perform a sync/backup

This not only is important in case you ever need to restore the device or recover information,

it also removes an enormous amount of unnecessary data stored in the analytics/diagnostic data area

(some of which can be corrupted or very old and cranky)

and it frees up space.

--   In the General settings, perform the "Reset Network Settings" feature

It's actually a simple and quick procedure, won't cause any problems,

it will restart the device and then you'l need to rejoin your Wi-Fi network.   

This option also clears out lots of old unnecessary data which can be corrupted and cause technical problems.  

I do both of these regularly -- about once a week -- and it really does help to do so.

Just as an additional thought...   wondering if this happens to you only when you're on the internet (using your browser), or only when you're using certain other apps, sending mail, etc.   

Noting a pattern of where/when it happens is a good way to get clues and narrow down the source.

Hope you find the source and solution quickly and easily!🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thank you doBdoo , and othere for your help. Will try them all out! 

Super Contributor

When I read these posts telling people to buy new without trying a restore first, I I just shake my head.  These electronic devices can be restore to the out of the box condition with very little work on your part.  I can remember back in the 1990s and later you had to not only reinstall the operating system, you had to reinstall all of the drivers one by one and all of the factory installed software. It took hours to finish the process.

Restoring Apple devices is simple and can breathe new life into an older machine for years of use.  I recently restore my iPad, gave it to a friend's grandson and he uses it everyday.

Honored Contributor

Updating devices for safety reasons is good, but I've found that the updated software often inserts bugs in older devices (phones and tablets in particular) slowing them down and making them sluggish or less responsive. I'm not sure this isn't at least somewhat planned on the part of the makers to encourage people to buy new. 

Files sizes on operating systems have grown like crazy. Windows 95 was all of 404 MBs. Windows 11 is around 32 GBs. That's 63 times bigger.  

Resetting it to original factory specs with the original operating system would likely restore full function, but once updated again, you will likely be right back to where you are now. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!