Valued Contributor

iPad/Kindle book/Audible question

[ Edited ]

After diddling around (on my own and googling) for an hour now, I am seeking a kind person's help.

I bought a Kindle book along with the audible narration with the hope I could listen to the book and follow along with the printed version so I could switch back and forth.  I can't make that happen.  I can read or listen. When I listen and then want to later read, I don't know where to begin reading.

The message on my iPad reads:  "We do not currently support Audible Immersion Reading with continuous scrolling.  Tap "listen" to continue to the player, or switch to pagination view."

Is there a way to keep up with where one is in the book, switching back and forth at will between reading and listening?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: iPad/Kindle book/Audible question

@JGalt

Audible has a US help page with a Call and Chat link. 

Frequent Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I do empathize with your frustration, so I'll give you my two cents.  I have quite often bought the  audible version and was indeed able to switch back and forth as you describe.  However, I do recall that there was one book that simply was not "enabled" to act in this way.  I have had very good luck with the tech support people (via phone) at Amazon.  I know it will take ages until you finally get to the right person, but it might be worth it to you.  The feature you are asking about is called Whispersync and it is listed under Advanced Settings on my Kindle.  Since all the models are set up a little differently, I won't go into how mine is set up, but if you want to post which model you have, and I see that it is the same as mine, I will post again and will go into detailed instructions for you.  So you may want to start out googling your kindle model with "how to use Whispersync" or give the folks at Amazon a call.  Oh, one more thing, you have to be home on your wireless network for the devices to be able to switch back and forth.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Elbelle I'm using the Kindle app on my iPad Air 2.

I checked the Help pages on Audible but I'm not able to get things set up the way I wanted.  Geez, I wasted hours today trying to learn about this; I could have read quite a bit of my new book if I had just given up.

Update:  Finally I found the instruction for correcting my issue....so many wasted hours today.  I'm not sure I can readily again find the spot in settings to fix things up, but at least I'm set now for my book....except not tonight because now I'm too sleepy.

Frequent Contributor

Yay!  So glad you figured it out!