Honored Contributor

Re: iMac question: What happened to my email??

I almost feel guilty{#emotions_dlg.blush} saying this, but I didn't have problems with Mavericks on my 2-year old iMac and so far Yosemite seems to be working fine. I know there are plenty of users with problems, because a search of "Yosemite problems" provides evidence of this.

I found one article with a few practical, step-by-step fixes:

OS X Yosemite Problems: How To Fix Wi-Fi, Battery Life, Bluetooth Connectivity, Lagging MacBooks, M...

(link: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/os-x-yosemite-problems-how-fix-wi-fi-bluetooth-connectivity-battery-lif...

Also, in addition to phoning Apple or visiting an Apple store, don't forget about the very active Apple Support Community forums.

(link: https://discussions.apple.com/welcome)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 dionline said:

The other day I clicked on my Trash folder to find a photo that I forgot to save to my iPhoto. So after I saved it, I clicked on the Inbox tab then the Mailbox tab to close that side panel. Turns out that my emails are now coming into what WAS my Trash folder - and that's my 'new' Inbox. What happened to my old Inbox....where the emails I hadn't acted on yet still are??? I closed the Mail program hoping that I'd begin again in my actual INbox - but nope, I'm still stuck in my old Trash folder.

What the??????

TIA!!

dionline, Which email service do you use? I'm wondering if you inadvertently configured a setting, or filter, etc., to automatically send messages to the trash folder or something of that nature. In searching so far, I don't see your specific problem mentioned in association with Yosemite, so I'm wondering if it's provider-specific.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

dooBdoo, my main mailbox is Yahoo and my secondary is Gmail. When I got this iMac (about 3 yrs ago??) I set it up just by intuitively clicking on different parts in the Mail program. I have since learned (the hard way) that Macs are NOT intuitive by any stretch of the imagination!! What I feel should be the next way to continue just doesn't work that way with a Mac. I love my computer - let's get that straight. When DH's HP isn't doing what he's used to, he's having a meltdown and I continue using mine. (I use it for not much more than email and surfing the web.) But when these little problems crop up it just seems insurmountable compared with PC problems.

I appreciate all of the input I get for my Mac issues!!!

Honored Contributor

I now have an apple I account for email that I didn't know existed. In fact, a friend emailed me and wondered why I hadn't answered. Her message was in there. I had to "back up" one step (using an "air") in order to see ALL mailboxes/accounts. Could this be your issue?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 dionline said:

dooBdoo, my main mailbox is Yahoo and my secondary is Gmail. When I got this iMac (about 3 yrs ago??) I set it up just by intuitively clicking on different parts in the Mail program. I have since learned (the hard way) that Macs are NOT intuitive by any stretch of the imagination!! What I feel should be the next way to continue just doesn't work that way with a Mac. I love my computer - let's get that straight. When DH's HP isn't doing what he's used to, he's having a meltdown and I continue using mine. (I use it for not much more than email and surfing the web.) But when these little problems crop up it just seems insurmountable compared with PC problems.

I appreciate all of the input I get for my Mac issues!!!

dionline, I've spent years in IT and frankly I've found it's easier to teach a new user (someone who's never used a computer) how to use a Mac as opposed to teaching them to use a Windows-based PC. Also, in teaching those who are switching from Windows to a Mac, the real problem is un-learning all the steps required for a PC, or the thought processes behind the system they were accustomed to using. If you look at the history, Apple traditionally did everything they could to make the process intuitive (for example, they had the first "windows" graphical user interface on a personal computer, on their Lisa and Macintosh, which were substituted for code, and Microsoft copied that system). But, of course, settings and options have become more complex simply because new technology has given us personal computers that do so much more than they did in the past.

Your email: Is the Gmail account on the Mac working with no problem? Does your Yahoo account look okay when you access it via the internet?

Super Contributor

dionline, I've spent years in IT and frankly I've found it's easier to teach a new user (someone who's never used a computer) how to use a Mac as opposed to teaching them to use a Windows-based PC. Also, in teaching those who are switching from Windows to a Mac, the real problem is un-learning all the steps required for a PC, or the thought processes behind the system they were accustomed to using. If you look at the history, Apple traditionally did everything they could to make the process intuitive (for example, they had the first "windows" graphical user interface on a personal computer, on their Lisa and Macintosh, which were substituted for code, and Microsoft copied that system). But, of course, settings and options have become more complex simply because new technology has given us personal computers that do so much more than they did in the past.

Your email: Is the Gmail account on the Mac working with no problem? Does your Yahoo account look okay when you access it via the internet?

I know what you mean about UNlearning a PC, I've heard that often and I wonder if I'm the perfect example of that. Mac may have been first but MS had a headstart by having such inexpensive systems that allowed everyone to have them. Macs are certainly pricier. Anyway, my Yahoo mail looks fine (that's how I have to access my emails when I'm at work). Not sure (once again) if it's Gmail or me but I always have problems getting my ebay emails. Even though I mark them as 'Not Trash' they continue to go into the Trash folder. I can't get them unless I access that folder. That's what happened this time. I went in to get an email I had already trashed and just never made it out. Now most of my emails (the Yahoo mail) is going directly into the Trash folder - where I'm stuck! I can't get my Gmail emails.

I was able to find a temporary fix on an online forum which told how to access emails in Safe mode. That was the only way I was able to gain access to the emails that had been in my Inbox but unable to find again. Not sure how long it will allow me to stay that way. I'm hoping Apple is working on this so it's resolved soon!!

Honored Contributor

I'm looking closely at the replies for this... we are planning to switch to an Apple in December (maybe sooner). It will need to be a PC probably -- I know, they are not called that. Thanks in advance for all of these replies... very eye-opening.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

loves - I really like my iMac...like I said earlier, when DH's PC is acting up, mine just works. It's no-nonsense but I think I'm having a hard time switching from 'PC thinking' to Mac-think. That said, if I needed another desktop computer, I'd get another Mac and just invest more time to learning it. And once this is resolved I'll go back to loving this again!!!

Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 dionline said:

I know what you mean about UNlearning a PC, I've heard that often and I wonder if I'm the perfect example of that. Mac may have been first but MS had a headstart by having such inexpensive systems that allowed everyone to have them. Macs are certainly pricier. Anyway, my Yahoo mail looks fine (that's how I have to access my emails when I'm at work). Not sure (once again) if it's Gmail or me but I always have problems getting my ebay emails. Even though I mark them as 'Not Trash' they continue to go into the Trash folder. I can't get them unless I access that folder. That's what happened this time. I went in to get an email I had already trashed and just never made it out. Now most of my emails (the Yahoo mail) is going directly into the Trash folder - where I'm stuck! I can't get my Gmail emails.

I was able to find a temporary fix on an online forum which told how to access emails in Safe mode. That was the only way I was able to gain access to the emails that had been in my Inbox but unable to find again. Not sure how long it will allow me to stay that way. I'm hoping Apple is working on this so it's resolved soon!!

dionline, I have an att.net mail account which is operated by Yahoo, so I tried adding it to my Mac mail native application. Try as I might, I can't duplicate the problem you're seeing. And I tried everything I could think of to break it -- I'm usually pretty good at breaking things.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} If it were me, since the account on the web is in good shape, I'd delete the account on the Mac, set it up again, and walk through all the preferences for the account to be sure they're configured the way you want. Or, if you'd rather ask a larger group of Yahoo mail users, go to the Yahoo Help Community forums and pose the question there. I don't think the next update to Yosemite will change what's happened to the Yahoo mail setup.

Regarding the issue of eBay mail going to the Gmail: add their address(es) to your Contacts in Gmail, and they should be recognized as safe and start showing up in your Inbox. (As long as you haven't set up filters redirecting them.)

Hope that helps, at least a little bit.Smile

Respected Contributor

Are you able to access your Yahoo and Gmail accounts via the internet (Safari or other browser)? If not, are they going to your trash folder?