Valued Contributor

how to switch files from PC to Mac?

Can it be done? Will Mac store do it for you?

Honored Contributor

Re: how to switch files from PC to Mac?

Sure it can be done, I have no idea if the Apple store will do it for you.

Here is the page on it from Apples website

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

You should contact Apple and find out what it would cost to setup a new Mac. http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Trusted Contributor

The Apple Store did it for me when I bought the new computer.

Super Contributor

You do it using the Migration Assistance app that is built into the Mac. It is done through a wireless connection. Make sure both the PC and Mac are connected to your wireless connection at the same time.

Yes, Apple Store will do it for you. It is free service when you first buy it, as part of the set up service they offer. I know they will charge for this service at some point, but not sure how long after you first buy the Mac will they charge for the service?

But the Migration Assistant is so easy, you could do this yourself. When you get your mac, and go through all of the start up steps, it will ask if you want to do Migration Assistant. You can decline at that point, and continue on with the set up. Since Migration Assistant is a pre installed app, you can always access it again. Which means you can do the migration whenever you are ready.

Regular Contributor

Depends what kind of files and if you will be installing the same programs (or the mac versions) to open them. You can just copy the files to a flash drive and then copy them to the mac.

Respected Contributor

Your files should be on your backup. Don't have one, now is a good time to do it.
Valued Contributor

Any Apple Store will do it for you as part of their deal when you buy a new Mac (either on apple.com or right in the store -doesn't matter). My friend just did this very thing. She brought her Dell laptop to the store and they ported everything to her new Mac -- documents, photos, music, etc. No additional fees. She was/is a happy camper!