Honored Contributor

Re: gardenman,hope your leg heals quickly

wrote:

@gardenman I’m so glad you had your cell phone with you. This is exactly why I wear my phone at all times. Accidents can happen anywhere and anytime.

Yeah, it's smart to keep it within reach at all times. You never know what will happen. I wasn't absolutely sure we had 911 service on smartphones here, but we did and they responded quickly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

Gardenman, So sorry to hear about your leg. I have read your books and
followed you for years with your Big Brother post. You have given me so much entertainment
and I would like to do something for you. Since I live in Texas and I know you live
in New Jersey I would need to ship but my company ships daily. My company is pretty
famous for our sweets. Just let me know if you like sweets [chocolate, lemon bars etc.]and I will ship.
I think I have your info.
Honored Contributor

@Lilypad1

I appreciate the offer, but I'd feel weird taking them. I'd rather you donate them to a local hospital, woman's shelter, or place in Texas that could use them. If you're determined to ship them to NJ, then the nursing staff on the seventh floor of the Roberts Pavilion at Cooper Hospital (in Camden, NJ) would be worthy recipients. They nursed me back to health and gave me exceptional care. I've never received better care in any hospitalization, so if you're determined to do something, then send some to them. I'd just feel weird taking anything myself. It's like I'm being rewarded for breaking my leg.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, what a story!  I hope you are doing as well as can be expected in the circumstances.  

I broke my foot twice and it is still giving me trouble.  I am swimming now instead of walking or using the elliptical.

I certainly am hoping that your recovery doesn't run to six months.  Way too long!   

How is are your seedlings doing?  Are you still able to tend to them?  Are you on crutches?  

All the the best for a full and speedy recovery.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

The seedlings are hanging in there. I just moved them up a shelf on my light stand to make tending them easier. They're a lighter green than I'd ideally prefer, but they're alive and growing. I'll post a photo in the garden forum sometime soon. The greenhouse cover kept them alive while I was in the hospital. I'm using a half gallon milk container to transport water to the plants while I'm on the crutches. I can fill that, cap it, wrap a finger through the handle, and crutch it to the plants. It takes a lot longer than the two gallon watering can I typically use, but it works. My houseplants are mostly dust, but some survived, and any that show any signs of life are being given a chance to rebound.

The cuttings I'd taken at the end of the season are all dead. My big Brugmansia has lost all its leaves, but I think it'll bounce back. My Sambac Jasmine seems dead, but I'm hoping there's still some life left in it. My huge Croton appears dead, but I'm holding out hope it's alive.

My neighbor was coming in every other day to feed my cats and fish, but I didn't want to stress her out too much by adding the plants to her to-do list, so they took a hit.

I'll be on crutches at least another six to ten weeks, possibly longer. Full recovery is a four to six month odyssey. There may still be an issue that needs to be fixed as the lower left leg seems to be leaning out to the left about an inch and a half to two inches. When you look down the left leg, or stand up and lay it flat on the floor, the left foot is farther left than it should be. That may be in the acceptable margin of error after an injury like this, it could be caused by the swelling, or it could be something that will still have to be addressed. I'll point it out to my surgeon on my next visit if it hasn't resolved itself by then. I have an annoying suspicion that may have to get addressed down the road which will likely stretch out the recovery time.

I'm in the window where I should be starting the Lobelia seeds, but they're waiting a tick longer. I'm getting stronger every day, but I'm no where near full strength just yet. Maybe I'll start them over the weekend, but we'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, an odyssey is the right word.  I was on crutches for 7 weeks and I was going crazy.  I am still having trouble with my foot.  I am swimming now instead of walking and elliptical.  I am going to have to have another shot at Physiotherapy to see if I can correct my gait which is causing inflammation in my foot.  

I know what you mean about overwhelming the help.  My gardens took a hit as well.  You have to let things go sometimes.  The important thing is to heal well.

I look forward to your photos.   All the best.   LM