Honored Contributor

Re: gardenman, I have a question

@hckynut

Thanks for the well wishes. The timeline looks like 10-12 weeks to be weight-bearing, then 4-6 months for a full recovery. The big issue now is getting the blood count back up to normal. My hemoglobin is around ten now instead of the normal 16-18 so doing anything is pretty much like running a marathon, but this is a tough old body.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Blood count is something I know all too well. Between being on Coumadin and having a bleeding colon over the years, Hemoglobin has been a key reading for years. 

Spent many years with anemia, which my numbers as low as 7.0 to 8.0. There were days blinking my eyes seemed like hard work. Still getting Iron Infusions when those Iron Ferritin numbers get too low, all connected to my bleeding issues of the past.

Thing that helped me most in keeping those Hemoglobin numbers in a good range, 12/15+, started when I began my B-12 shot regimen. Still get one every month from my Hematology visits, were they also check my Ferritin, now every 6 months. Started checking that monthly/then every 3 months, now the 6 months, but that took years.

Might check with your doc about the B12, wouldn't hurt. Stick with it my man, these tough all bodies still respond with the right effort and the other things going the right direction.

Hey! Aren't you a big Eagles fan?  Take care now,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

I'll be seeing my hematologist on Thursday, but generally speaking, once the bleeding is stopped my blood levels rebound pretty quickly without assistance. My hemoglobin five hours after the break was 14.8. It bottomed out at 7.1 on the 14th. It hovered in the eights most of the rest of the time. It finally meandered up to 10 just before I was discharged. When you're missing a third of your blood, it makes everything a tad more challenging. I've been as low as six on previous admissions, but I was younger then. You just have to learn to pace yourself until the levels improve.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Gardenman,

Get well soon!!  We will need to back for BB!!  Get out of that Hospital bed!!!

Miss you!!  Feel better!!

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@hckynut

I'll be seeing my hematologist on Thursday, but generally speaking, once the bleeding is stopped my blood levels rebound pretty quickly without assistance. My hemoglobin five hours after the break was 14.8. It bottomed out at 7.1 on the 14th. It hovered in the eights most of the rest of the time. It finally meandered up to 10 just before I was discharged. When you're missing a third of your blood, it makes everything a tad more challenging. I've been as low as six on previous admissions, but I was younger then. You just have to learn to pace yourself until the levels improve.

I had majory surgery and my hemaglobin dropped from 14 to 8 and I felt terrible.  I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and thought "This is what I'm going to look like when I'm dead".  I was so white and pale, it was scary.  It took a while for me to build my blood count back to normal and until I did, I felt awful.  Get well soon. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@hckynut

I had majory surgery and my hemaglobin dropped from 14 to 8 and I felt terrible.  I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and thought "This is what I'm going to look like when I'm dead".  I was so white and pale, it was scary.  It took a while for me to build my blood count back to normal and until I did, I felt awful.  Get well soon. 

Yeah, it takes a while to bounce back. I just finished feeding the cats, filling their water dish and cleaning their litter pans, and it feels like I've run a marathon. Now I rest up for a bit before my next big task of opening the blinds and feeding the fish. It takes me about two hours to do my normal morning stuff that I'd normally do in ten minutes, but I get it done with lots of breaks mixed in. I'm better now than I was Friday and Saturday and I'll get a little stronger each day. It's annoying as heck, but survivable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!