Trusted Contributor

could use some help re signing into Windows 10 computer

Sorry, this will be long.   I have my internet with Verizon and have a chromebook (which I'm typing on now) and a Windows 10 computer. The Win 10 computer kept saying 'resolving host' and had the little circle spinning around and around no matter what webpage I went on. It took a long time for pages to load, if they loaded at all.   Called Verizon today ( was on phone on and off today with three different people for a good FOUR hours). One person told me to sign into my Microsoft account on my chromebook, which I did, but was asked on Microsoft.com to change the password. I did that and was able to log into my account with Microsoft with no problem on the chromebook.   I then tried to sign into Microsoft on the Windows computer using the changed password, but kept getting the message that the password was incorrect, even though I checked it to make sure I was typing it correctly.   Anyway, before all this, when I used the windows puter, it just asked me for a PIN code/number to sign in which I have been using and that worked fine. Now today since changing the Microsoft password, it says password is wrong and I can't get the sign in screen to come back that I used my pin number on.    I cannot sign into the Win 10 puter at all now.   I can do nothing with it.  I don't know who else to call. I did call Microsoft but kept hanging on and on and on and nobody came on the line.   I really like being able to use both my computers.   Is there anyone here that has any suggestions? Thanks.   Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get all the info in here.

Honored Contributor

Re: could use some help re signing into Windows 10 computer

Okay. So, let me see if I have this right. When you shut down and reboot your computer, instead of getting the prompt for the four digit pin, you're now being asked for a password? And the password isn't working?

Here's a Microsoft support article that may help you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490115/windows-change-or-reset-your-password 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman , yes, you have it right.  Thanks for the link. I will look at it.  

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman , I looked at the windows 10 link you sent and it mentions if someone wants to change their password, to press the windows icon button on the computer. I can't do that.  All I get on the computer  sign in screen is my first and last name, a box to put in the password, and in bottom right hand corner of screen, a picture of a globe (internet, which I clicked on and it just shows a photo of a plane), the next button is ease of use button, whatever that is, and then the actual power button. All these 3 things are on the lower right hand corner of the windows sign in screen.   

Super Contributor

did you reboot? It should take you back to the pin screen for windows. 

Honored Contributor

The Windows icon button is on your keyboard, not the screen. It's typically on the bottom left of the keyboard.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I was able to fix the computer myself.   It works, for now anyway.   Thanks for the help.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

I was able to fix the computer myself.   It works, for now anyway.   Thanks for the help.  Smiley Very Happy

Do you mind sharing what you did?  It helps everyone when people report back how a problem is fixed. 

Trusted Contributor

@glb613 ,, instead of holding down the power button that was on the computer screen while holding down the 'shift' key, I held the power button down that was on the keyboard and held the 'shift' key.  I had to do this four or five times until it worked, then it said 'reset this pc' and then installed Windows 10 all over again.  Seems to be working ok now.