Respected Contributor

Re: cord-cutting CABLE CORDS

@Deree wrote:

Oh thank you glb613 for the link but I already looked up several sites and they still don't answer my questions.  If I may ask here.

My laptop is in front of the sofa where I sit. It's connected to a modem right next to the sofa via an ethernet cable so I don't have a router or wifi.  The tv is on the other side of the room so if I plug the Amazon Fire into the port in back of the tv how can the ethernet cable be plugged into the modem on the other side of the room where my laptop is plugged into the modem?  Does this mean I must get a router?  If I get a router do I still need the modem?

Also the guy who presented on QVC said there is a huge amount of free content just by hooking up the Amazon Fire?  So you don't need to subscribe to a streaming service to see all these hundreds of movies?  I'm not sure if I understood him correctly.

Also the set-up said you have to enter your internet password. I don't have an internet password and have no idea what that is about.  These are my questions. Sorry I'm so dumb about it. 

The streaming device, no matter what the brand, needs to be connected to the internet. Some can be hard wired or wireless.  It looks like the Fire stick is wireless only.  You'll need a wireless router to connect it to the internet. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just spoke to a Best Buy rep on their Chat and it can be hooked up via ethernet cable which is a separate purchase.  Amazon site also stated this could be done.  However hard wiring is cumbersome and too much trouble.  I would definitely choose to by a router.  Thank you for your reply!

Ah I just learned how to edit my post. yay.

I also found out that remark the QVC sales rep made about being able to see hundreds of movies as soon as you hook up the Amazon Fire TV is ONLY for Amazon Prime members.  The rest of us would definitely need to pay a monthly fee for a streaming service.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree.  The Amazon TV devices are remarkably simple to set up.  They all come with explicit instructions that an idiot could follow.  The hardest part is remembering or finding your WiFi password.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I cut the cord last month.  My promotional price was up and my bill was to go up an additional $40 a month.  I took in all my boxes (had 3 of them) and just went with internet and phone.  I am saving $90 a month on cable plus I notice this month electric bill was lower.  Apprently those cable boxes uses quite a bit of electricity. 

Now I watch over the air tv, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  I am really happy so many people are cutting the cord and not paying the cable company so much of their hard earn money. 

Contributor

I cut the cord last month.  My promotional price was up and my bill was to go up an additional $40 a month.  I took in all my boxes (had 3 of them) and just went with internet and phone.   I am saving $90 a month on cable plus I notice this month electric bill was lower.  Apparently those cable boxes uses quite a bit of electricity. 

Now I watch over the air tv, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  I am really happy so many people are cutting the cord and not paying the cable company outrageous prices.

Honored Contributor

I've had Ooma VoIP phone service for about two years now. The basic service is free and the monthly FCC tax of about $5 (required) is the only thing I pay for it. The Ooma box was $79. I kept my old land line number and had that routed to my Ooma service for a one-time fee of $40. After that it was clear sailing. No problems, crystal clear voice and internet viewing of your calls logs or a place to change account upgrades. I would never go back to a regular land line.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Deree.  The Amazon TV devices are remarkably simple to set up.  They all come with explicit instructions that an idiot could follow.  The hardest part is remembering or finding your WiFi password.

Thank you @Kachina624. I think you're talking about the set up instructions from your tv screen once you plug in the Amazon Fire, which look to be very easy. I'm talking about my physical room set-up.  I have an ethernet connection for my computer not a router. I found out I would need a second ethernet cable from the Amazon fire to the modem as well.  I can't do that across the living room about 12 feet, so I would have to buy a router.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee. I'm going to research Ooma. I want to get rid of my land line, but I am in a "dead zone" with my cell phone service which means once in a while I can't even make a call from my cell phone from my home!  I need something reliable to replace my land line.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  Your phone service sounds interesting.  Can you make free long distance calls?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to mention to those wanting to switch to VOIP, if your internet goes down, so does your VOIP line.  Here's a link that explains some ways around that if it should happen:

https://www.softwareadvice.com/resources/3-ways-to-keep-your-voip-service-from-going-down-with-the-i...

It's my understanding also that once you get rid of your hard wired land line, the telephone companies are not too keen on hooking it back up for you.  In fact, I've heard if they do, it will be  3-4 times the cost you were paying prior to.  I've also been told the phone companies are looking to get rid of land lines all together.  The only way I see that happening is it being phased out as the population ages and the phone companies no longer have it as an option.  Some food for thought.