Honored Contributor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

Apparently this is the new...

people are ditching their cable services for less expensive ways to watch tv shows!

Not sure I completely understand all of the different methods,  but hey, I will be open-minded!

New VoIP phone service allows you to keep your landline telephone #. The service requires Internet WIFI to work...about $2/month. Search Magik JACK. 

Don’t stop the landline service before starting the new VoIP sevice (like we did 😢) or you won’t be able to use your old number.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: cord-cutting CABLE CORDS

[ Edited ]

@LTT1. How long have you had the Magik Jack service?  Any problems with it?  Can you make long distance calls?  Clear reception?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This was a timely post @LTT1.  My"promotional" TV package from AT&& U-verse expired.  Today I got an email bill that states it will be an additional $40.00 month for all of my basic, expanded, and premium channels.  Ugh, now I have to call and talk turkey.  I do not enjoy this hassle one little bit.  Maybe instead of telling them I want to switch cable providers, I should say  "I've been thinking about cutting the cord" and see if I can get another promotional package.  I do love my premium channels!

Honored Contributor

The are several good threads in electronics if you're interested in pulling the plug on TV cable or satellite.  You can look them up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Make sure you can GET regular TV reception (unless you are going to use a service that runs thru your computer.)    I get zero, zip, NADA regular tv where I live.    It's a choice of cable or satellite around here.    This is not true for   Phoenix in general........just my particular neighborhood in a mountainous area.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

Apparently this is the new...

people are ditching their cable services for less expensive ways to watch tv shows!

Not sure I completely understand all of the different methods,  but hey, I will be open-minded!

New VoIP phone service allows you to keep your landline telephone #. The service requires Internet WIFI to work...about $2/month. Search Magik JACK. 

Don’t stop the landline service before starting the new VoIP sevice (like we did 😢) or you won’t be able to use your old number.

It all depends on where you live, what you watch and how much are you willing to pay.  Cutting the cord if you live in an urban area is much easier than if you live in a small town or rural area.  Most antennas have a range of 30-50 miles so you need to live fairly close to the broadcast stations. 

If you like to watch sports, most are broadcasted on cable channels and can't be viewed with an antenna.  It's the one reason I keep my cable subscription.

Many cable channels programs can be watched online using your computer, tablet or phone.  If you have Apple devices, you can mirror what is on your computer or tablet to your TV using Apple TV. 

There are many streaming devices and services you can subscribe to and watch on your TV.  Which device and service you choose depends on personal preference.  I have 2 Apple TVs since I have Apple computers, iPad and iPhone I can use with them.  Roku seems to be the most popular device for streaming programs.  But be advised, if you want Netflix, Hulu or other streaming channels, you pay a monthly fee.  Over the air braodcasts using an antenna are free, the streaming channels are not. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi, I'm new here.  I'm also exploring ways to cut the cord. My cable company will be increasing my monthly bill by 120%.  I already tried an antenna on my bedroom tv and even though I'm in a large city only 2 miles from 3 broadcast towers, only 5 channels are coming in. Only 1 of those is a network channel.  Sometimes they don't even work. I've been told this is because I'm facing away from the broadcast towers and there are highrise buildings in between. So not only is location important but orientation is too.

To glb613:  Doesn't Sling TV offer a good sports lineup?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

I'm also interested in the Amazon Fire TV thingamajig but have no idea how to set it up with what I have at home. I watched the presentation but my questions were not answered. Does anyone know how I can get my questions answered? Thank you.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

I'm also interested in the Amazon Fire TV thingamajig but have no idea how to set it up with what I have at home. I watched the presentation but my questions were not answered. Does anyone know how I can get my questions answered? Thank you.

Set up

Trusted Contributor

Oh thank you glb613 for the link but I already looked up several sites and they still don't answer my questions.  If I may ask here.

My laptop is in front of the sofa where I sit. It's connected to a modem right next to the sofa via an ethernet cable so I don't have a router or wifi.  The tv is on the other side of the room so if I plug the Amazon Fire into the port in back of the tv how can the ethernet cable be plugged into the modem on the other side of the room where my laptop is plugged into the modem?  Does this mean I must get a router?  If I get a router do I still need the modem?

Also the guy who presented on QVC said there is a huge amount of free content just by hooking up the Amazon Fire?  So you don't need to subscribe to a streaming service to see all these hundreds of movies?  I'm not sure if I understood him correctly.

Also the set-up said you have to enter your internet password. I don't have an internet password and have no idea what that is about.  These are my questions. Sorry I'm so dumb about it.