Regular Contributor

Re: cell phones and service packages

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest --- if you have a WalMart near you, there is a phone area inside.  They sell TracPhone.  Not only will they set it up for you at purchase; you can go back before the one year issue anniversary and if  you buy the one year card they will enter the one year card for you --- which keeps all your minutes going from year to year.  It's a lovely service for us "un-techies."   I've been doing this for about 7 years now on a TracPhone flip model that "takes a lickin and just keeps on tickin."

Phone and about 350 or so minutes for the year---less than $100--- which isn't as good as @hckynut's price----but still less than $10 per month.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for all the info.  I appreciate it.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

John, i trust you  so what do you think of the idea of going to walmart to get a phone and having them set it up?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest

Pick whatever phone you like & buy it. This may be more than you want to spend all at once but it will save you money in the long  run. With contract plans you may pay less up front but your monthly charges are high enough that it is like paying more than full price for the phone. And the service plans are often not as good as a good no contract plan.

Then pick a no contract service plan that is available in your area. I've used a few different ones & have stayed with Straight Talk for the last few years. I pay $45 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. No contract; if I don't pay for the next month before my 30 days is up I don't have service. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Are you a member of Consumer Reports?

They often have articles that help you figure out what type of phone you need for your lifestyle.

No i am not.

libary?

or internet search for phones?

Valued Contributor

I have a tracphone for many years. Somewhere along the line I read that the least expensive way to purchase minutes is to buy $20 cards rather than an annual card. Don't know if that is still true. 

Honored Contributor

Yes ,since last night i have been searching info on cell phones, i like the consumer cellar set up, but really concerned about how  service would be here, tracfone samsung galaxy s820c lte looks good, walmart has that,do i need a memory card? Waiting for john to help me.

Honored Contributor

@ john, need your help ,please see my post ,thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't agree more with John about getting a tracfone. Definitely the best you can find for the money.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn  goldensrbest is trying to page you in message 13

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau