Respected Contributor

Re: cell phones and service packages

@sunshine45 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have a at&t flip phone, i need a new phone and service,i hate to spend what a i phone costs, i need a good phone with low monthly bill,please help me ,i just do not know about this kind of thing,i need long distance service.

@goldensrbest

Are you thinking about a fixed amount Pre Paid Program? Can you get by each month using TracFone? I have Tracfone, but I hardly ever use it, and yes, it does it all, Text/Internet/Long Distance, all the widgets and gizmos. Figuring the cost of the "to the door" phone and year of service?  Comes to $6.66 per month.

My wife has Boost Mobile that is a monthly auto-pay. She has Unlimited Talk/Text and 1g of memory per month. Her plan, with auto-pay is $30 + taxes. She is happy with that service.

I don't get why anyone pays over $100+ per month for any cell phone service, especially those tied to you for 2-3 years! TracFone will be all I use, probably with my present phone, because Tracfone no longer is offering Triple Everything with their new smartphones. I will stick with the one I have as it does it all.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

we have a verizon plan with five phones (four smartphones, one flip phone) and two tablets......unlimited talk, text, AND data. the cost is approximately $350 per month with all of the taxes and fees......which comes to about $50 a device.

looks like the two of you are paying about $40 a month, but dont have all of the services we have.

technically, our phones/devices are only about ten dollars a month more than what you are both paying. we DO use them a lot.

I have a Verizon bundle for cell and home phone service for $80 a month.  I use my iPhone 80% of the time but didn't want to give up my home number while I made the switch.  It's a resonable price and I decided to just keep it. There have been times when my phone needed to charge so I use my home phone and I hear better using the handset.  People who only use a cell phone for emergencies, when they travel, or away from home, a Tracphone might be just fine. 

I use my iPhone for everything including taking photos while on vacation.  No one phone or phone plan fits everyone.  I resisted getting a smartphone thinking I was retired, home most of the time and wouldn't use it.  Was I wrong!  I get text messages when packages are delivered, text messages from friends and family, have a Ring Video doorbell I can answer remotely, a security system I can monitor remotely, a GPS to get directions, I can compare prices and the list goes on and on.  And, I'm not one of those people who has it constantly at her ear.  Just like when buying a computer, you need to match the device to how it will be used.  I'll never be without a smartphone again. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Wait a minute .....  has Tracfone stopped offerring triple minutes on ALL phones  .... or on all their SMART phones?

I was planning to purchase my first Tracfone (with triple minutes) after I visit my family for Christmas.   I wanted a crash course on how to use the thing first.   Since I've always had Verizon and always have my laptop with me, I didn't see any reason to purchase a smart phone ... it just seems redundant, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been on Boostmobile for the past 7 years.I have a family plan.I update the plan every couple of years.We have 3 phones.One iPhone & 2 Samsung Galaxy phones.Each phone has 10 gigs of data plus unlimited calls & texts.The cost for all 3 is $90 + tax.I'm on auto pay. My credit card is billed automatically each month.

Oh, my son upgraded his phone to the iPhone a couple of months ago.Getting it through the Boostmobile website he saved $200.The cost for service stayed the same.

The family plan saves money.You get more data for less!

Respected Contributor

I think they stopped making  flip phones lol

there is the iphone se   its really tiny  and I think its like $13  a month.  I think verizon has a few  phones under $10 a month

Respected Contributor

If you go  to the att website they have  smartphones as low as $5 a month  Samsung has a good reputation.  A Samsung J3  is $6 a month  on the att website

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

If you go  to the att website they have  smartphones as low as $5 a month  Samsung has a good reputation.  A Samsung J3  is $6 a month  on the att website

Yes, but the monthly fee,i have a tracphone coming ,just hope i can learn how to download the minutes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

I think they stopped making  flip phones lol

there is the iphone se   its really tiny  and I think its like $13  a month.  I think verizon has a few  phones under $10 a month

@kcladyz, they still make flip phones. I was in Verizon about 2 weeks ago getting the new Galaxy S8 and someone came in looking at flip phones to purchase. The sales rep said they are making a comeback.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

Yes, but the monthly fee,i have a tracphone coming ,just hope i can learn how to download the minutes.

Sadly there is no avoiding a monthly fee for service. A prepaid option  may work out but you will still be paying the same per month anyways