Esteemed Contributor

anyone else getting messages about TLS security settings?

I started seeing them yesterday when I tried to checkout at another site thru PayPal.  Then I saw it when I tried to log in here.  I see them when I'm using Microsoft Edge.  Haven't seen any when I'm on Mozilla Firefox.  

Anyone else?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: anyone else getting messages about TLS security settings?

@esmerelda 

I use firefox, don't see em.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If this is the same message stating "someone is attempting to gain your financial information" and telling me to call a number for Google then yes. I was using the Google Chrome browser and don't know why but think some site may have been hacked and this was an attempt to steal user information. I shut down the computer and did a malware and virus sweep. Thank goodness there were no issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@GAQShopr53  No, this is something different.  Nothing about financial information.  Something about the site using unsafe or outdated TLS security settings.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda,  TLS certificates are the newer version of SSL, basically encrypting, authenticating, and providing us security when our browser communicates with a website.  With my Apple devices I don't use Edge (I use Chrome, Firefox, and Safari).   I haven't seen any recent warnings.   Since you say it began suddenly with more than one website, it's highly unlikely the websites have a problem -- it's most likely your browser or computer.    Are you using the most current version of Edge?   Have you changed anything, including settings, and do you use the recommended ones for Edge?

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Check the date and time on your computer. When you start getting SSL or TLS notices on multiple sites it's usually because your computer is set for the wrong date, typically the wrong year. Those certificates have starting and ending dates and use the date on your computer to compare. If your computer is set for a date outside that range, you get the error. Computers use a CMOS chip to store the BIOS settings that include the date and time. That chip is powered by a small watch type battery that can fail over time. When the CMOS battery fails the computer resets the date to the preset date in the BIOS which is often when the BIOS was first created which is typically years ago, well outside the SSL or TLS date range. Simply swapping out the CMOS battery, or resetting the date each time you fire up the computer will solve the issue.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope... never have.