Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR OPINION OF WINDOWS 10?

@SaRina wrote:

I just wanted to express my opinion about the idea that it's ridiculous to not know how to operate your computer. (paraphrasing)

It's not just a matter of strengths/weaknesses.  It can also be a matter of  time and interest.  I use my computer for e-mails, playing games, chatting, and Youtube.  That's it.  If I didn't have a computer, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine without it.  My computer has 3.00 GB RAM.  I do understand more about the computer than some people.  I know that I should know a lot more, but I simply don't have the time or interest.  I know a lot more about other areas that most people are not at all knowledgeable about.  That's where my expertise and interest lie.

I come here with my computer questions for help from people who know more about the computer than I do. So, I think it's actually ridiculous to judge people for their lack of computer knowledge.

@SaRina

Amen, sister !!!     :goodjob:

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Gokat, thank you for the link.  Even though I went through the steps on the links I provided, my task bar icon merely changed from "Your Free Upgrade is Ready to Install" to "Get Windows 10 Now".  So, I went ahead and (nervously) used the link you provided to download the GWX Control app as a stand-alone and my "Get Win 10 Now"  icon is gone.  Furthermore, the app identified a Win 10 folder that had already been installed (without my knowledge, of course) and that has been deleted as well.  Moving forward, I will be notified of any Win10 updates that Microsoft is attempting to force install.

I'm wondering if the speed of my computer has been immediately improved because of this Win 10 folder being deleted?  I don't thinkI have enough space on my computer to even accomodate a full Win 10 install.  I think my computer would crash if it was installed.  So thank you for this link!!

P.S.  I just did a Malwarebytes scan and rebooted.  I have a new message that Updates are available.  I went into Updates and confirmed that I now will be able to review all updates and decide myself whether to download and install.  I just installed 3 important Windows updates.  Yay!

In the past, I just allowed Windows to automatically update for me.  Now, I will be in control.  I just checked my updates list and was shocked to see there have been several attempts to install Windows 10 Home version.  All these attempts failed.  Thank goodness.

I have to thank you again@Gokat for the GWX Control app.  Yesterday, there were 2 new important Windows updates to install.  I reviewed them first and didn't see anything saying Windows 10, so I okayed the installation.  A few minutes later, GWX popped up and informed me that Windows 10 updates had been installed!  I guess these updates were somehow hidden, which is frightening to think about.  I went to the GWX menu (the icon is on my bottom taskbar) and clicked on "Remove all Win 10 updates", after which GWX informed me that I had no Win 10 software on my computer.  "Your computer is safe!"   

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Gokat, thank you for the link.  Even though I went through the steps on the links I provided, my task bar icon merely changed from "Your Free Upgrade is Ready to Install" to "Get Windows 10 Now".  So, I went ahead and (nervously) used the link you provided to download the GWX Control app as a stand-alone and my "Get Win 10 Now"  icon is gone.  Furthermore, the app identified a Win 10 folder that had already been installed (without my knowledge, of course) and that has been deleted as well.  Moving forward, I will be notified of any Win10 updates that Microsoft is attempting to force install.

I'm wondering if the speed of my computer has been immediately improved because of this Win 10 folder being deleted?  I don't thinkI have enough space on my computer to even accomodate a full Win 10 install.  I think my computer would crash if it was installed.  So thank you for this link!!

P.S.  I just did a Malwarebytes scan and rebooted.  I have a new message that Updates are available.  I went into Updates and confirmed that I now will be able to review all updates and decide myself whether to download and install.  I just installed 3 important Windows updates.  Yay!

In the past, I just allowed Windows to automatically update for me.  Now, I will be in control.  I just checked my updates list and was shocked to see there have been several attempts to install Windows 10 Home version.  All these attempts failed.  Thank goodness.

I have to thank you again@Gokat for the GWX Control app.  Yesterday, there were 2 new important Windows updates to install.  I reviewed them first and didn't see anything saying Windows 10, so I okayed the installation.  A few minutes later, GWX popped up and informed me that Windows 10 updates had been installed!  I guess these updates were somehow hidden, which is frightening to think about.  I went to the GWX menu (the icon is on my bottom taskbar) and clicked on "Remove all Win 10 updates", after which GWX informed me that I had no Win 10 software on my computer.  "Your computer is safe!"   

That little app is my find of the year,  and I'm so happy to share it with anyone who can/will use it  @SaRina !  Woman Wink  There are specific updates that relate to the Win10  download/install.  (conveniently mislabeled) I used to have to sort through all updates prior to installing (optional and important) to hide them, but this app alerts me so I can  prevent them from installing.  Do check the GWX site occasionally for updates though. 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

My opinion of Windows 10? Since I was using Win 7 and refused to have anything to do with Win 8, I am happy with Win 10, which is a lot like Win 7. I haven't had much of a learning curve. I bought the Win 10 for Dummies book but have only had to use it minimally.

I'm not paranoid about the updates, I let Microsoft do its thing - but I do not use Edge or Cortana, tempting though it may be, because of the privacy issues. Microsoft will only get so far into me.

That said, I personally would not want the uncertainty of having a Win 7 computer and expecting or hoping it to update to Win 10 without problems. Too many things can go wrong. I waited, and purchased a laptop with Win 10 already installed.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I just wanted to express my opinion about the idea that it's ridiculous to not know how to operate your computer. (paraphrasing)

It's not just a matter of strengths/weaknesses.  It can also be a matter of  time and interest.  I use my computer for e-mails, playing games, chatting, and Youtube.  That's it.  If I didn't have a computer, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine without it.  My computer has 3.00 GB RAM.  I do understand more about the computer than some people.  I know that I should know a lot more, but I simply don't have the time or interest.  I know a lot more about other areas that most people are not at all knowledgeable about.  That's where my expertise and interest lie.

I come here with my computer questions for help from people who know more about the computer than I do. So, I think it's actually ridiculous to judge people for their lack of computer knowledge.

Nicely said, @SaRina.

I come here to help others if I can, and to learn from others, too.

I think that we can always learn something from others, especially when it comes to electronic devices.

I made a personal choice to no longer use a Windows-based PC when our most recent old Windows computer stopped working.

It doesn't mean that I can't use one, or that I don't know how to use one.

I just didn't personally feel like dealing with updates and installs and downloads for it anymore. That was a choice that I made for myself. 

It's probably similar to how people feel when they switch over to another device or computer, like going from a PC to a Mac, for example. 

So we use Chromebooks in our home now. They are different than using Windows computers, as you don't use a Windows operating system anymore. 

So, no more Windows Updates, and no more antivirus updates, or anything like that at this time.

There is still a bit of a learning curve with a Chromebook, but in my opinion, nothing like using a Windows PC.

You can pretty much just go on the internet with a Chromebook, and surf away. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have windows desk tops and note books for business reasons, but this is just another reason why I really prefer using Apple Mac products.

With Windows there is always some problem, too many updates, too much aggravation,too many virus, trojans and the like.... and as for Windows 10, I do not like anyone to decide what OS I should use or not use.

"If I bought Win 7 then that's what I want to use, but at least let it be my choice whether or not to upgrade".

I immediately changed all the Win settings on everything to ensure that Windows 10 never downloads, and also got rid of those annoying pop up reminders.

I still love Windows 7 and before that XP.

Hated Windows 8 with an extreme passion.

I really love Mac products, and use them due to intense dislike for Microsoft, and the problematic issues and dilemmas it continually causes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

‎03-11-2016 05:09 PM

PamSue72 wrote:
Much ado about nothing. I upgraded a few months ago. No problems whatsoever. I really like it. The worst part is trying to figure out where things are and I did some muttering trying to figure out where to find things. But once you sit down and play with the system, it doesn't take all that long to get the hang of it.You need to want to learn how to do things. I like knowing how my computer works, so I was fine.

FWIW, my girlfriend's computer decided to upgrade to 10 and she didn't notice until it was 70% finished. She said there was no Cancel button to stop it and she panicked and shut her computer down. In doing so, she lost everything on her hard drive and now has to re-install Windows 7. She is not computer savvy and has her work cut out for her. I can't do it as she lives in another state.

It pays to understand your computer, so when something happens you can fix it.

I had had read that, eventually MS would upgrade 7 and 8 to 10. Evidently that's true because my GF had no idea it was going to upgrade and she wanted nothing to do with 10. Me, I like it. No problems.
@PamelaSue72***You did a very good description on getting used to Windows 10. You just need to find everything.
Everything will be on 10 very soon.
Report Inappropriate Content
(241 Views)

I find that finding everything is so annoying. MS is constantly making users waste their time finding things they hide in stupid places and rename for no reason. Just such a pain. I'd like to know if anyone had to prepare McCaffe Livesafe before the update or had to get drivers from HP.