Esteemed Contributor

Re: YOUR OPINION OF WINDOWS 10?

Well...I took the plunge and I have to say, I like it so much better than the 8.1 I had before!! So far, no issues....

My brother, however, upgraded from Windows 7, and he did have problems.

I absolutely HATED 8.1 and I was able to figure out 10 very easy!

Honored Contributor

Toppers - Man, the fatigue hit me so hard earlier that I could not longer even sit up.  I actually fell asleep for about 10 minutes (that's about par for the course for me) and just lay there for the entire 2 hours until I felt like I could get up.

Anyway, thanks for the info.  Yeah, years ago I changed my computers so that the Windows Update would ONLY let me know there are updates and I will do them myself.

I just don't like them trying to force the Win10 OS update on people.   When I buy another computer, fine.  But updating the OS on an existing computer can really cause problems and I wish they would have made it where you choose 'no' and all the silly stuff goes away.

I've gone online to find how to completely make that GWX go away but, due to brain fuzziness, I end up getting confused now.  Smiley Sad    Sure, you can delete it every time you turn the computer on but that's kind of frustrating.   If you are on the computer for any length of time it even comes back!  It's like a freaking cancer.

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Much ado about nothing. I upgraded a few months ago. No problems whatsoever. I really like it. The worst part is trying to figure out where things are and I did some muttering trying to figure out where to find things. But once you sit down and play with the system, it doesn't take all that long to get the hang of it.You need to want to learn how to do things. I like knowing how my computer works, so I was fine.

FWIW, my girlfriend's computer decided to upgrade to 10 and she didn't notice until it was 70% finished. She said there was no Cancel button to stop it and she panicked and shut her computer down. In doing so, she lost everything on her hard drive and now has to re-install Windows 7. She is not computer savvy and has her work cut out for her. I can't do it as she lives in another state. 

It pays to understand your computer, so when something happens you can fix it. 

I had had read that, eventually MS would upgrade 7 and 8 to 10. Evidently that's true because my GF had no idea it was going to upgrade and she wanted nothing to do with 10. Me, I like it. No problems. 

@PamelaSue72***You did a very good description on getting used to Windows 10.  You just need to find everything.

Everything will be on 10 very soon.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you. I really was being honest about Windows 10. It's truly not that bad. It's just not.

The reason Windows 10 is free (for now) is because of all the squawking that went on about Windows 8. People were screaming because it was just a terrible OS....not that it is; it's just a completely different system than what people were used to. And rather than learn something new, it was easier to simply sit and complain about it. I had no trouble with Windows 8 either and I was honestly trying to understand where all the hoopla about Windows 8 came from. I think I even posted about it in a previous thread a while back. I dont' understand it. It's different....different does not mean the end of the computer world.

But people screamed about it and screamed loudly and long. So Microsoft came up with Windows 10, which is essentially a cross between 7 and 8; at least that what it appears to be. It's free for now because those who complained about Windows 8 have the chance to upgrade to 10 for nothing. After the free period is over, Microsoft will be charging for Windows 10, just like the company did for the previous OSs.

I swear that if people gave 10 a chance, they'd be fine. It really is a matter of figuring our where the stuff is. And once you figure it all out, it will be like you've always used it. I also know that there were those who had trouble with the upgrade for whatever reason and this post is not directed toward them. 

If you have a computer, you owe it to yourself to understand your computer. I know people just want to be able to turn it on and surf, answer emails, do your thing. But not knowing how your computer actually works is ridiculous. It's your computer. Learn how to operate the thing. It's really not that difficult!

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Oh wow, I didn't know they were going to FORCE people to upgrade their OS to Win10.   That's not too cool.  What if you have programs, or other things, that are not compatible?   Seems like it should be a choice thing.

None of my computers have tried to force it - yet.  I'm trying to be mindful, when doing Win updates, to block the ones that are pertinent to Win10, since my computers are not Win10.

I  find it profoundly annoying that that stupid thing keeps being in my taskbar every time I start up a computer.   I'm hating that there seems to be less and less choices.  They force all this junk into all the newer operating systems and it's just too bad if you don't want to use it.  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

I didn't read the entire thread, maybe this has already been posted.  You don't have to install Win 10 and you can turn off the update reminders, etc.  I did so successfully.  Google for instructions about how to do so; a couple of things needed to be done.

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Thank you. I really was being honest about Windows 10. It's truly not that bad. It's just not.

The reason Windows 10 is free (for now) is because of all the squawking that went on about Windows 8. People were screaming because it was just a terrible OS....not that it is; it's just a completely different system than what people were used to. And rather than learn something new, it was easier to simply sit and complain about it. I had no trouble with Windows 8 either and I was honestly trying to understand where all the hoopla about Windows 8 came from. I think I even posted about it in a previous thread a while back. I dont' understand it. It's different....different does not mean the end of the computer world.

But people screamed about it and screamed loudly and long. So Microsoft came up with Windows 10, which is essentially a cross between 7 and 8; at least that what it appears to be. It's free for now because those who complained about Windows 8 have the chance to upgrade to 10 for nothing. After the free period is over, Microsoft will be charging for Windows 10, just like the company did for the previous OSs.

I swear that if people gave 10 a chance, they'd be fine. It really is a matter of figuring our where the stuff is. And once you figure it all out, it will be like you've always used it. I also know that there were those who had trouble with the upgrade for whatever reason and this post is not directed toward them. 

If you have a computer, you owe it to yourself to understand your computer. I know people just want to be able to turn it on and surf, answer emails, do your thing. But not knowing how your computer actually works is ridiculous. It's your computer. Learn how to operate the thing. It's really not that difficult!

In spite of your smugness, I'll try to explain ......  We all have our strengths and weaknesses and that's a fact.  There are things I'm very good at, but understanding my computer is not one of them .... the instructions might as well be written in Martian.

I've had the experience of being proficient with various programs and then they are "updated" and its back to trying to make sense of something that was working just fine before they messed with it.   Upgrades don't come with instructions, they just install them and leave you to fend for yourself.   "Fooling around" with the program in order to understand it gets me nowhere.  What am I trying to do, exactly?   I have no idea.

This reminds me of the old adage ... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it ... "

Perhaps you can see the wisdom there.    Hope this helps to explain, as stated in your second paragraph, what you don't understand.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think what I ended up doing was changing my updates from "automatic" to having it tell me that they were available, but then letting me install and download them myself.  

That is how I had my updates set for the entire time I had Windows computers.  You have to be good about going to the update page and selecting the ones you want and hide the rest.  I'm sure you'll do that but, a lot of people won't.  For those who aren't good about maintaining their computers, it's best to leave it set for auto-updates.

Windows is installed on a variety of computers (hardware and memory) plus a huge variety of software installed.  It's impossible for a company to create updates that are 100% compatible with every computer out there.  In all of the years I owned a Windows computer, I never updated the operating system to the newest version.  If I wanted or needed the latest operating system, I bought it on a new computer and that way I knew it was compatible.  I also kept the old computer until I knew all the software I used was also compatible.  If there was a program I just had to have and it wasn't compatible, I kept the old computer so I could use it. 

Trusted Contributor

Smugness? Not really. It's that old "opinion" thing coming to bite me. Because my opinion is different, evidently, from a lot of people on the board. And that's fine. 

I don't know why Microsoft is constantly "fixing" what doesn't need to be fixed. But the fact is they will continue to do so. And I still think that the best thing to do is that as the new stuff comes out, just deal with it as best we can. 

Respected Contributor

Not knowing anything about it, I rushed to reserve my upgrade months ago.  After researching, I decided I'm not interested.  The notification reminder has been incessant and annoying.  A few months ago, I couldn't find anything on-line about how to Cancel my Reservation.  Now there is information.

If you currently have Windows 7, here are a couple of links with info on how to remove the upgrade notification and/or cancel your reservation altogether:

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-remove-the-windows-10-upgrade-notice/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/successfully-cancelling-your-windows-10-upgrade-reservation

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I finally got rid of the screen !!!   knock on wood ...

I cleared all browsing data, then went to cookies and deleted every Microsoft cookie in there.

Then I shut down my computer, unplugged it and also removed the battery for a few seconds. 

When I started it up again ..... no screen.   Its been all of 10 minutes now, so we shall see how it goes.

The screen hasn't come back in 24 hours!!   Yay!!   I think deleting all my Microsoft cookies did the trick!