Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you buy a desktop or a laptop computer & what brand?

I had to get a new computer this past February.  I got the least expensive desktop at Walmart, an HP, for under $350.00.  My last one was about 7 years old, an e-machine, also from Walmart and it turned out to be a really good Windows 7 computer and lasted for a long time..

So far so good on this one, too.  Walmart is close and if it for some reason it didn't work, I would be able to carry it back there, no problem.

This one is a Windows 10, which was not as difficult to switch over to as I thought it would be.  Its smaller than my old one, but everything was very easy to set up.  It came with a new keyboard and I was able to use my old Compaq monitor with it. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  @Silver Lining 

Don't be concerned about battery.  I keep mine plugged in at my chair a lot of the time.  I can recharge it there or just use it plugged in.  Easy!

We seriously considered a new desk top for the office last spring and hooked up a laptop to a big monitor we had to see if we liked it.  We didn't.  It can't go anywhere else in the house, takes up room on the desk, and seems to serve no purpose a laptop wouldn't.

I switched from a heavy Dell laptop to a Mac Air in 2011 and am on my second one and I love it!  It doesn't have a disc drive in it, but has more than enough storage for anything I've ever done or saved.  I have a portable disc drive than I can plug in, it is small, should I want to store something bulky or back up something

I can take this to bed with me if I am sick, in the kitchen to make a recipe, travel with it, and even took it to the hospital for a month! 

We decided a desktop was for us a dinosaur!  Like WE are!  So my recommendation is a light weight lap top that is really portable!  Get the brand and operating system you like and are comfortable with, but get one that is light weight is my recommendation.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son has a laptop & I have an iPad.The only one who uses the desktop is DH.He works from home a lot .Even though he uses his work laptop he likes to login to his work email on the desktop.He works off of both computers.

The desktop is a Dell.Since it’s about 6 years old we are looking to replace it. It’s a wireless all in one.I will probably replace it with an H.P.  wireless all in one.I will likely buy it in Costco because of their free extended warranty & free unlimited tech support for the life of the machine.I’ll be replacing the all in one printer as well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have had both while working and at home and I much prefer a desktop with keyboard and monitor.  I had HP years ago, started using Dell and have very much liked and use the XPS-8900 model which you can customize to meet your needs for memory, etc.  I purchased mine through Dell online where I was able to customize what I wanted and needed for my use.  Printer/scanner hooked up to desktop. I have had several brand laptops, not fond of any of them, preferring a desktop with full keyboard for my maximum use. I have no need for a laptop, I am not on the go and do not move my computer around, it remains in my "office" area. I also use my computer to stream all the time so I do not have a television, computer accommodates that need! 

Dell XPS 8900

16.0 GB RAM

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 

1 GB storage

Windows 10

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have an HP.  I used Dell before and will never buy one again.  They aren't as highly rated anymore.  My son has a computer degree and recommended Lenovo.  I bought my compter at Best Buy as they are very good at recommending and are very knowledgeable.  I would not recommend buying on QVC. 

I need to ask my friend why he prefers Dell. He's very good with electronics and rebuilt one of his computers for my sister. No, I won't buy a computer from a television shopping channel.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my Sony all-in-one desktop online with the help of a sales associate, choosing the features I wanted.   It was just the most enjoyable experience ... I'm not sure Sony even does this anymore.   

After  completing everything, I had to wait a bit while my computer was being assembled ... then Sony's technical support took over ... they delivered  and set it up, ported the pics and documents from my earlier Sony to the new one.

I have a year-to-year tech support agreement, and if anything goes awry, it's fixed remotely.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining 

Mine is a HP  pavilion all-in-one   desk top and i love it.....the screen is close to 24 inches!

Windows 10...but idon't use  it as touch screen just a regular computer..lol

Just me.

oops....i left out desk top...and corrected it.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

HP is the best brand. And they offer great warranties too. Go on their website and you can purchase one even if you got your HP computer from a different vendor.

I don't regret my purchase of an HP Envy laptop at all. Laptops are the easiest because you can take them with you when you travel, and you have everything you need right there. Tablets and phones just aren't enough when you want to do actual work or use powerful software.

Invest in the fastest one with the best RAM and Hard Drive and processor you can afford. That way you won't feel it is out of date for several years.

woot dot com has great computer deals sometimes. That's where I found mine. Also, Amazon has fair prices on good computers. And you can read reviews written by people who seriously know their computers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

RE:   "I keep mine plugged in at my chair a lot of the time.  I can recharge it there or just use it plugged in."

@Sooner   I've been doing that with my tablet, but just read that keeping a battery plugged in wears down its life expectancy.  Supposedly it's better to let it run down then unplug it once it's recharged.  ??  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

RE:   "I keep mine plugged in at my chair a lot of the time.  I can recharge it there or just use it plugged in."

@Sooner   I've been doing that with my tablet, but just read that keeping a battery plugged in wears down its life expectancy.  Supposedly it's better to let it run down then unplug it once its recharged.  ??  

@IamMrsG   No, thanks for the advice! I don't keep it plugged in all the time.  But I can plug it in and let it charge up again while I am still using it.  I do this at the end of the day rather than plug it in all night now.

You and I hear the same thing about that, but I have also read it doesn't apply to newer batteries.  So what do we know?  LOL!!!!  You never know what to think now do you? Woman Frustrated