Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you buy a desktop or a laptop computer & what brand?

[ Edited ]

I have used Dell computers for years. I like desktops. I would suggest the XPS 8930. The Intel i5-9400 processor and a 2 GB video card. I would add a DVD drive. The rest of the components in the CPU look fine. 

Please ask the sales department to find you a monitor match your video card.

An XPS computer comes with a warranty. You do not need to an additional one. 

Honored Contributor

My general rule re computers .... buy the least expensive one in the store.  I don't need bells and whistles.   

The one I'm using now was around $300.  I bought in 2012 at Best Buy.  

I've updated the software  use ... I had one issue re virus - and the Best Buy Geek Squad took care of it.  I have external drives to back up important data.

So - when my current laptop dies - back to Best Buy for a low-priced replacement.

Respected Contributor

I'll be back later this afternoon to reply to everyone and ask questions. Thank you for all of this great information!!!! 

I' m leaving to go to the imaging center for a bone density scan. How long I'll have to sit in the waiting room is anyone's guess. I'll take this tablet and "study" the comments and recommendations. My friend, "the expert" haha, needs to see this this thread!!! 

Honored Contributor

I would never buy a Dell today, or a desktop.

I love my Asus Zenbook laptop.💕 Got me through nursing school.
Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have an HP.  I used Dell before and will never buy one again.  They aren't as highly rated anymore.  My son has a computer degree and recommended Lenovo.  I bought my compter at Best Buy as they are very good at recommending and are very knowledgeable.  I would not recommend buying on QVC. 

@luvmybeetle 

Dell and HP laptops have exactly the same components inside.  The only difference may be in the software and the outside case.

I have a Dell desktop.  I would be interested in a Lenovo if I were ever to buy a laptop again.  I have also heard good things about them. However, the chances of that are nil.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have an HP.  I used Dell before and will never buy one again.  They aren't as highly rated anymore.  My son has a computer degree and recommended Lenovo.  I bought my compter at Best Buy as they are very good at recommending and are very knowledgeable.  I would not recommend buying on QVC. 

@luvmybeetle 

Dell and HP laptops have exactly the same components inside.  The only difference may be in the software and the outside case.

I have a Dell desktop.  I would be interested in a Lenovo if I were ever to buy a laptop again.  I have also heard good things about them. However, the chances of that are nil.

They may have similar components - it doesn't mean they're manufactured and built to the same standard.  Just like any other product, there are wide variations in quality.

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

My old Dell pc is way out of date and needs to be replaced. I have a home office and prefer sitting at my work desk with plenty of room for a printer and related items. I also have an ancient Dell laptop that is useless but I have several tablets in various sizes which are adequate if I want to work in a different room. One of my tech savvy friends has been looking online and wants to go shopping with me. We'll go to Costco, Sam's, Best Buy and the AAFES on base. He likes Dell. I don't have a preference. Recommendations would be appreciated.

I have both and use them in different ways.  I recently had problems with my iMac and can't believe how much I missed the 27" screen.  I get the electronic version of my newspaper and trying to read it on a notebook computer was not enjoyable.  Computers are so reasonablely priced, get both. 

Respected Contributor

Depends on what I need.  Right now, I have an iMac, 27" screen.  Wonderful for what I need to do.  Had MacBooks in the past.  Never left my desk.  Figured why not switch to the iMac, get a larger screen and use it as a desktop computer.

Contributor

I had a desktop for years, til it crashed.  Purchase a Toshiba laptop 8 yrs. ago, and would never go back to a desktop.  I place my laptop on the same desk that I had the desktop monitor sitting on.  I only use the battery when I wish to take it on a trip.  Otherwise, I do not keep it in.  If I were to take into another room then I would either plug it into A/C outlet, or put the battery back in.  I dislike using the mouse pad, so I use my wireless mouse...

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give me information, advice and alternatives. The people at Best Buy have been exceptionally patient and helpful. I wanted to look at the various makes and models you prefer and recommended. I also went to Sam's which had little to offer and zero customer service. I know you're on your own for regular shopping there but one would think they'd staff the electronics section if it is only the computer area. Of course, there is a wealth of information online and many b&m stores to shop for computers. @gardenman, my good buddy who built a desktop for my sister is willing to do that for me, too. I'll continue to read, look and listen before making a decision.