Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you buy a desktop or a laptop computer & what brand?

[ Edited ]

I thought this was the case with my old HP printer, too.  It wanted the disc for installation, even though my new HP computer knew exactly what I had.  

I went on line and looked for the installation, found it, and it installed.

I found the disc for it about 3 weeks later.

Just a hint, though, you can find the installation for older printers on line, just google HP {model number} installation.

@SilleeMee wrote:

I bought a new HP desktop AIO last year. I love it. Takes up no more room than a large laptop because it's AIO.  I can move it anywhere where there is a flat place to set it. Everything connected to it is wireless, except for the power cord going into the electrical wall outlet. It's very lightweight. Mine has a touch-screen and also a built-in optical disk drive.

I was using an old Gateway AIO before I got the new HP. My old printer did not work with the new HP so I had to buy a new printer. So just be aware that some old devices may not be compatible with a new computer.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner @IamMrsG @Porcelain @cowboy sam @Sox @ScarletDove 

@NicksmomESQ @GrailSeeker @shopperqvc @SilleeMee @Imaoldhippie 

@luvmybeetle @sandy53

Thank you so much for the advice, recommendations and all of the additional information!!! I really appreciate the much needed help!!!

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I thought this was the case with my old HP printer, too.  It wanted the disc for installation, even though my new HP computer knew exactly what I had.  

Just a hint, though, you can find the installation for older printers on line, just google HP {model number} installation.

@SilleeMee wrote:

I bought a new HP desktop AIO last year. I love it. Takes up no more room than a large laptop because it's AIO.  I can move it anywhere where there is a flat place to set it. Everything connected to it is wireless, except for the power cord going into the electrical wall outlet. It's very lightweight. Mine has a touch-screen and also a built-in optical disk drive.

I was using an old Gateway AIO before I got the new HP. My old printer did not work with the new HP so I had to buy a new printer. So just be aware that some old devices may not be compatible with a new computer.

@GrailSeeker 

I did look online for my old printer's software and when I did that's when I found out that the old printer was not compatible with my new HP computer. It just wasn't. I even had tried to load the program from the old printer's installation disk and that did not work either.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining  I owned a Dell but it did not last long.  About a month ago, I purchased a laptop, 17 in. screen by HP.  Love it.  I purchased at Walmart.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@GrailSeeker 

I did look online for my old printer's software and when I did that's when I found out that the old printer was not compatible with my new HP computer. It just wasn't. I even had tried to load the program from the old printer's installation disk and that did not work either.

Yes, may or may not work.  My printer is probably 5 years old.  Not that old to me, but in the world of electronics it is, even though it works fine.  Saved me some money, so just wanted to put it out there. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We always have a desktop.  We have gone through about  four HP computers and just bought a new one here three months ago.  HP last, and are in my opinion the best.  We bought it on Costco dot com.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd only own desk tops, but a few years ago my brother sold me a laptop cheap, so i got rid of the desk top and haven't looked back.  Recently I replaced the laptop with a really good deal I found on HSN.  I am retiring in June so I wanted to get up-to-date at home since I won't have my work computer to use anymore. 

Since you're used to using a desk top, you can purchase a large lap top and use a mouse.  You can also hook up a monitor to have a second screen.

Plus, you can take it with you!  i think a lap top is the way to go. 

Edited to reflect that I purchased my HP off HSN - see below.  It's not available any longer, but they may have another deal on HPs since that's a brand they sell regularly. 

HP 17.3" AMD Quad-Core 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD Touchscreen Laptop w/Office
ITEM 661-401
Price: $599.99
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I wonder if they do that just so you are forced into buying a new printer. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my old printer. I was a little ticked that I did have to buy a new one when I bought my new pc. @GrailSeeker 

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining 

A desktop, would shop major brands. My tablet is all the portability I need, or want.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining , I have had Dell desktop, Toshiba and HP laptops.  When I retired, I bought a MacBook Pro.  I really like it but would not recommend for work unless everyone else has a MacBook.

I would never buy Dell again.  Of HP and Toshiba, I liked Toshiba better.  

I will never own a desktop again.  Much prefer a laptop.

Good luck with your choice.  LM