Respected Contributor

Would you buy a desktop or a laptop computer & what brand?

My old Dell pc is way out of date and needs to be replaced. I have a home office and prefer sitting at my work desk with plenty of room for a printer and related items. I also have an ancient Dell laptop that is useless but I have several tablets in various sizes which are adequate if I want to work in a different room. One of my tech savvy friends has been looking online and wants to go shopping with me. We'll go to Costco, Sam's, Best Buy and the AAFES on base. He likes Dell. I don't have a preference. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you buy a desktop or a laptop computer & what brand?

I wouldn't buy a desktop because I don't have a good place for it in my home.  I like my laptop because I can take it anywhere in my house to use it.  Also, we have a lake house and I easily take it with me for the summer. 

I don't like typing on a tablet and I still have to do a lot of typing for both my part-time job and my volunteer job.  

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining   First, I am curious about the age of your Dell PC--as I might be in the same boat and have begun thinking in line with you about it being time to replace.  The decision between desktop or laptop is nonexistent for me, though.  I am old school and, for the same reasons you mentioned, am desktop all the way.  Additionally, I don't like having to charge batteries or being concerned about losing battery at a crucial time.  

Good luck in your shopping and decision making.  Please come back and relate your decision and final thoughts.  I'll be watching!  Smiley Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I have an HP.  I used Dell before and will never buy one again.  They aren't as highly rated anymore.  My son has a computer degree and recommended Lenovo.  I bought my compter at Best Buy as they are very good at recommending and are very knowledgeable.  I would not recommend buying on QVC. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a new HP desktop AIO last year. I love it. Takes up no more room than a large laptop because it's AIO.  I can move it anywhere where there is a flat place to set it. Everything connected to it is wireless, except for the power cord going into the electrical wall outlet. It's very lightweight. Mine has a touch-screen and also a built-in optical disk drive.

I was using an old Gateway AIO before I got the new HP. My old printer did not work with the new HP so I had to buy a new printer. So just be aware that some old devices may not be compatible with a new computer.

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 

I don't like typing on a tablet either. I much prefer a standard keyboard.

Honored Contributor

I had a Dell PC in the past and it died in about 5 years.  I replaced it with a HP desktop.  I like desk tops I do not care for laptops.  I only buy through their website.  I do not recommend buying any electronics through any shopping channel.

Since you work at home I definitely recommend a desktop.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Silver Lining   First, I am curious about the age of your Dell PC--as I might be in the same boat and have begun thinking in line with you about it being time to replace.  The decision between desktop or laptop is nonexistent for me, though.  I am old school and, for the same reasons you mentioned, am desktop all the way.  Additionally, I don't like having to charge batteries or being concerned about losing battery at a crucial time.  

Good luck in your shopping and decision making.  Please come back and relate your decision and final thoughts.  I'll be watching!  Smiley Happy

@IamMrsG 

I think it is something like eight or nine years old. My friend picked it out and set it up for me. He prefers Dell but I hear a lot of people say to avoid Dell. I'll keep you posted.

Valued Contributor

I borrowed my BIL's laptop when my desktop needed repair. I really didn't like the laptop. It was heavier than I expected and with the batteries on the one side it was always out of balance on my lap and the batteries ran hot. 

I'm not one to haul a computer wherever I go. If I want to look something up or check something, I have my desk and the lighting so I can see well. 

I do have a tablet I can check something quickly, but my desk has the printer and a good size monitor. 

My printer can print from my tablet, but I still prefer to see that the printer is working properly when I am using it. I hate thinking I have printed something only to find out I ran out of paper later. 

The last desktop I bought was from Dell, but I'm not sure I would go that route again. My very old computer is also a Dell, and it still works, just can't get Windows 10 on it. This "new" computer has Windows 10, but the hard drive died just after the warranty quit. They don't give you any slack on their warranty and I had it replaced locally. The cost of sending it to them and getting the repair done wasn't worth it.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I had a Dell PC in the past and it died in about 5 years.  I replaced it with a HP desktop.  I like desk tops I do not care for laptops.  I only buy through their website.  I do not recommend buying any electronics through any shopping channel.

Since you work at home I definitely recommend a desktop.

That's what I think I want - a HP desktop.