Honored Contributor

Re: Windows License Will Expire Soon

@smoky22 wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Sounds like a scam.  I've never heard of a "Windows License".  I do know that "Office 365" has to be renewed each year, but I've never heard of the other thing.  Don't click on any links or enter any "activation keys".  Go to the Windows website and see what you find.

@Cats3000  I did go to the windows website and it looks like there may be a glitch.  Windows did an update two days ago and the message started appearing after that.  The message came up again today.  When I go to the screen where you would activate the Windows license it says we have Windows 10 Pro, which apparently does need a license.  I don't know how we would have gotten Windows Pro.  Windows 10 upgraded automatically last year from Windows 7 Home Edition.  I don't know if the last Windows update caused this glitch but I'm researching how to uninstall the last update and see if that helps.

The last few updates from Microsoft have created quite a few issues. I've been hanging out on the Microsoft Support forums helping people with their display issues, but I haven't seen any posts with issues like what you're reporting, so it may not be update related. (Or it could be, and just not affecting those who visit the Microsoft Support forums.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows License Will Expire Soon

[ Edited ]

I wanted to come back and explain what I found out about this issue (it had nothing to do with a Windows update).  I was finally able to talk to a relative who is very knowledgeable. He thinks we somehow ended up with a trial version of Windows Pro and the trial is about to expire, and when it expires we will just have Windows 10 Home edition.  I don't use the desktop.  I only use my laptop.  Not sure if Mr Smoky did something during the Windows 10 upgrade that gave him Windows Pro.     

I feel kind of dumb now for bringing this up.  Thanks to everyone for the responses.  I always get such great help here.