Valued Contributor

I can't remember how bring up the simulated desktop for Windows 7. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

Honored Contributor

There should be a 'Desktop' button - or tile, whatever those silly squares are called - and you just click on that. It's on the left side of that first screen of tile things.

For me, however, I wanted to add more of the older Windows features so I installed the 'Classic Shell' software (classicshell.net). It's very small but has lots of choices to make things the way you are used to, where you can find stuff again and have a 'start' button.

HTH Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I just got a new HP desktop with 8.1 (had XP before). I didn't have to download any other program to get the same desktop I was used to. I don't remember if I did anything during setup but my computer boots right up to my desktop. I don't even use or see that new tile start screen at all. Unless I need to go there for something. Maybe there was a Windows Update that added that. There were some big updates my computer had to do when I first got it.

When my husband got his new HP Laptop with 8.1 he did download the Start is Back program but I don't think he needed to.

Esteemed Contributor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-start-menu

You find an app called DESKTOP. It will take you to a regular page with icons.

Trusted Contributor

Or press the "flying windows" key on your keyboard. It toggles you back and forth between the two "home" pages. And if you are in the regular desktop view but have lots of windows open, just press the flying windows key while you press the "D" key. It minimizes all of your open windows and you can see the desktop.

The flying windows key should be on the lower left of your keyboard.

KJPA
Valued Contributor

Thanks, one and all! I am making progress! It's definitely a little bit of a challenge, but I'm getting there. Frustrated that I can't transfer my files from Vista to 8.1 by Easy Transfer. I guess I'll have to keep the old computer around as a reference version.

Regular Contributor

I got a new computer earlier this year with Windows 8.1 and quickly decided I HATE it. I did a quick Google search and found an article which helped me download a program called Start8 which has my computer looking and feeling like Windows 7.

I highly recommend reading this article: http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7 and then downloading the Stardock Start 8 program.

Respected Contributor
Windows 8.1 takes me to the desktop when the computer boots. You can toggle between the tiles and the desktop by pressing the Windows key. When I need to search for something, I go to the tiles, start typing what I want to find and the search function starts. I doesn't matter if it;s a document or program. If you are at the tiles, click on the down arrow found on the left bottom of the screen and it takes you to all of your programs or apps. I think Windows 8 has some really nice features. You just need to take the time and learn it.
Trusted Contributor
On 8/4/2014 Marybella said:

Thanks, one and all! I am making progress! It's definitely a little bit of a challenge, but I'm getting there. Frustrated that I can't transfer my files from Vista to 8.1 by Easy Transfer. I guess I'll have to keep the old computer around as a reference version.

You can transfer the files manually. I used Windows Explorer to move files from a Vista laptop to an external hard drive. Then from the hard drive to the new 8.1.

Super Contributor

Every time I use 8 I always wind up asking myself who the heck were the beta testers for 8 (and 8.1)? And then I curse MS