Super Contributor

Re: Windows 8.1 versus Windows 7

double post

Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Still Raining said:

I moved from an old computer with Vista to a new touch-screen with 8.1 last spring and really it is not a big deal. Just look around the menu and get a feel for where things are. For the life of me I do no understand all the hysteria about this issue.

Agreed! Anyone who has used smartphone or a tablet is familiar with using apps. That is how you navigate the metro interface. If you prefer the desktop interface you can still use it. I guess people fear change.

Honored Contributor

Microsoft has free information and training on their site. I would go spend some time there and learn more about Windows 8.1.

To get you started, here are some links:

Microsoft official Windows 8.1 features

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Tutorial

Honored Contributor

In case my previous post gets deleted because it has links, just go to Google and search for Windows 8.1 features or tutorials and look for results on the official Microsoft.com site. You can also find some good YouTube tutorials.

I'm putting together training for a Microsoft product for people in my company and I am using information from the Microsoft site and YouTube tutorials to learn it myself and develop the training. There's a lot of really good information and some bad information, so just look and experiment.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Cha1k said:

Microsoft Windows 7 update is buggy. Be careful about automatic updating.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-di...

Window 7 has been around since 2009. it is an old OS, and of course it is buggy. It is time to move on to Window 8.1.
Respected Contributor

I updated from Vista to Windows 8 last January and finally did the 8.1, much better IMO. I have no issues, it's easy and fast, no problems at all. You just have to learn where things are as opposed to the old menus and places. I listened to all the warnings about going to 8.1 and should have done it much sooner.

Trusted Contributor

Bought a new Dell in April as I had the old Windows XP for many years. I got mine with Windows 7 for the very reason you are concerned. I was skeptical of W8 since I heard horror stories. People I know who got 8 wish they had 7. I got mine with Windows 7 and couldn't be happier. It's neat, it's clean it is user friendly and has many nice new features that XP didn't have.

Don't know what to tell you if you already purchased it.

Honored Contributor

I have 2--- windows 7 and 1--- window 8.1.

I will take a windows 7 way over that 8.1. not happy with the 8.1. it didn't even have a pop out tray to put discs in for play games or watch movies. had to purchase an extra attachement so I could play my games.

windows 7 is the xp line. love my 7's. heard that windows 10 that should be released soon is going to be the new ""xp"" of the windows line. my son in law is in computer line for work and he say the 10 looks to be the best .

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/15/2014 viva923 said:

I have 2--- windows 7 and 1--- window 8.1.

I will take a windows 7 way over that 8.1. not happy with the 8.1. it didn't even have a pop out tray to put discs in for play games or watch movies. had to purchase an extra attachement so I could play my games.

windows 7 is the xp line. love my 7's. heard that windows 10 that should be released soon is going to be the new "xp" of the windows line. my son in law is in computer line for work and he say the 10 looks to be the best .

Microsoft is going to say Windows 10 is going to be the best. This software will have some problems in the beginning. When buying a laptop today, you have to make sure you get a CD/DVD drive, If you need one.
Trusted Contributor

It took me over 6 months to get accustomed to 8.1. I loved my Windows 7 for many years and it was so much easier than 8.