Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 8.1 End of Service

@BklynKinsey    I have now spent 6 hours upgrading to Windows 10. At one point everything went into GERMAN (WHY???)  Maybe almost done but can only get one e-mail account.

Respected Contributor

Just want to finish up this thread. I posted my issues on Microsoft Community and got answered by Philip Santana, a computer programmer and independent Microsoft advisor. What a guy! Couldn't be better.

The conversion to Windows10 is complete. Back to being secure. I will not be able to convert beyond Windows10, but who's complaining? All my stored items are still there. It took about 7 hours to do, but well worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy that it worked out for you, @PickyPicky3 .  I tried to stay with Windows 7 past the support date because I liked it but I started to have problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Happy that it worked out for you, @PickyPicky3 .  I tried to stay with Windows 7 past the support date because I liked it but I started to have problems.

@qbetzforreal 

I think by my not putting in questionable updates, is why my Win7 is still working as it always did. All the programs I use still work just fine. A lot depends on the purpose one uses their computer, and my uses are pretty basic.

My IP updated several times, but none had any effect on my Operating System. Unless it completely quits, ain't no reason for me to by a new one.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Many older computers cannot be upgraded to using newer versions of Window OSs simply b/c older computers do not have the hardware inside them to handle the upgrades. Buying a new computer will solve that problem and when that one gets to be around 5yo or older then it's time to start thinking about another new one. Technology is always changing and old stuff becomes obsolete and unsafe to use. I try not to spend a lot of money on new technology b/c just in a few years I will replace it with something new and updated.

@SilleeMee - That's what happened to me. I started getting notices last fall. My computer (desktop) was very old and giving me problems in other areas too. So DH decided I needed a new one. I hated giving up mine, since I had the CD/DVD player, but I knew it was time. I did a lot of research and decided to go with a MacBook. I'm still learning it, because I'm used to HP! 

I just hope I made the right decision to switch!  

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal   The person who has my old Windows 7 desktop is doing OK, except for the date. Every time the computer is turned off, the year changes to 1564, and my friends gets messages about date/program conflicts. It reminds me of Brigadoon.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@qbetzforreal 

I think by my not putting in questionable updates, is why my Win7 is still working as it always did. All the programs I use still work just fine. A lot depends on the purpose one uses their computer, and my uses are pretty basic.

My IP updated several times, but none had any effect on my Operating System. Unless it completely quits, ain't no reason for me to by a new one.

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn- Mine was working fine until it wasn't.  It had nothing to do with performing the updates.  The updates protect your computer.

If you're satisfied that's all that matters.

Like I said, I liked Windows 7 but I had to upgrade.  I know people who are chugging along with Win 98 and Win 2000.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@qbetzforreal 

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn- Mine was working fine until it wasn't.  It had nothing to do with performing the updates.  The updates protect your computer.

@qbetzforreal 

No, updates by Microsoft were to update the Operating System, not the programs I was/am running. Those were the ones I chose not to update. The computer quitting, going KaPut, is a whole different animal.

Like I said, I liked Windows 7 but I had to upgrade. know people who are chugging along with Win 98 and Win 2000.

Maybe you had to update because you were using different programs than I was/am. The Operating System having to be updated was/is different. My programs, as I said, still work fine. Now if my computer fries itself? Then I make a

choice!

I am satisfied because my computer still works fine. Who knows! If it quits, I may build my own like I have in the past. And my Win7 is not "chugging along". Running a little slower than when new? Of course, but with its internals not being the lower end, it is still as fast as I need it to be.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The biggest issue with past releases and not adding updates is that the security on your computer is woefully behind the curve.  Most updates are to related to security.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The biggest issue with past releases and not adding updates is that the security on your computer is woefully behind the curve.  Most updates are to related to security.  

Yes and bingo!