Trusted Contributor

Windows 10 sign in/sign off question...

[ Edited ]

I set up a new desktop computer running Windows 10 for my parents, who are not tech savvy.  I used my Microsoft account as the main/lead account and set each of my parents up as local accounts with administrator privileges and no password protection (they click their name and they get into their screen).

This is my first experience with Windows 10, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I sign a parent out of their account (by clicking sign out), the screen goes back to the main sign in page where other users can sign in.  I then shut the computer down and the next time I restart it it will automatically go to the last parent who used the computer, their screen is up and ready to go, despite being signed out before shutting down.  When I turn it on I want it to load the main sign in screen and that's it.  What am I doing wrong?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 10 sign in/sign off question...

you should have just used your account or created one for them instead of adding them as addl users.  that way it would be just ready to go at startup

Trusted Contributor

It's my understanding that by default, Windows 10 loads the most recent account that was used to sign in. If you want the main sign in page to load after booting up, you would need passwords on all three accounts.

It's good that you made standard user accounts for your parents. Not a good security practice to use the Admin account for ordinary day-to-day tasks.

Trusted Contributor

@kcladyz  I don't think that would work for them.  They each have their own iTunes library and their own Google accounts, etc.  Plus pictures and documents.  Their accounts need to be separate.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

@Caffeina  Thanks for letting me know it's the default.  I'll ask them about adding a password to their accounts.  I did change both of their accounts to admin.  I wanted them to have full control over the computer.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@kcladyz  I don't think that would work for them.  They each have their own iTunes library and their own Google accounts, etc.  Plus pictures and documents.  Their accounts need to be separate.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

@Caffeina  Thanks for letting me know it's the default.  I'll ask them about adding a password to their accounts.  I did change both of their accounts to admin.  I wanted them to have full control over the computer.

I've always used an administrator account and it's never been a problem.  Now, if I had a child or someone who wasn't computer savvy, I'd make their account standard or restricted.  I also have a guest account for anyone who would want to use my computer.  Since the invention of tablets and smart phones, most guests have their own way to access the internet.