Respected Contributor

Windows 10/Microsoft Edge & Edge Kids

I don't use Edge at all - I use Chrome.  But lately Edge and Edge Kids takes over and I can't get rid of it.  I have to turn off the computer/unplug it.  Then when it comes back on it's fine for awhile.  Edge must be pre-installed because one way to fix it is to go to that app and remove the program but I can't seem to do that.   So anyone else have this problem and how do I fix this?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 10/Microsoft Edge & Edge Kids

@FranandZoe wrote:

I don't use Edge at all - I use Chrome.  But lately Edge and Edge Kids takes over and I can't get rid of it.  I have to turn off the computer/unplug it.  Then when it comes back on it's fine for awhile.  Edge must be pre-installed because one way to fix it is to go to that app and remove the program but I can't seem to do that.   So anyone else have this problem and how do I fix this?  Thanks.

Okay. Edge is a built-in part of Windows 10 and can't be deleted from the system very easily. As a general rule, if you hit the X in the top right, it should close the Edge browser. You shouldn't have to turn off the computer to make it go away. I'm not sure what's happening with your computer, but a malware scan might help you out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe 

Make sure Chrome is set as your default browser. Start typing default into your PC search box, and a link to the settings should be the first result. Click on it to open. Then click where it says web browser. Mine has Firefox, yours might say Edge. It should open a menu of browser choices. Click on Chrome.

default app settings.png

def 2.JPG

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much both of you!

Chrome is my default browser.

I can't delete Edge and when I "X" out at top right it won't let me because it brings up Edge Kids and I can't X that out either.

HOWEVER I found if I just go with it by "permitting" Kids to exit it works.  Have to sign-in with my computer password because an adult has to give permission to exit Kids.

Crazy.

Thanks again - I really apprreciate it!

Super Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Thanks so much both of you!

Chrome is my default browser.

I can't delete Edge and when I "X" out at top right it won't let me because it brings up Edge Kids and I can't X that out either.

HOWEVER I found if I just go with it by "permitting" Kids to exit it works.  Have to sign-in with my computer password because an adult has to give permission to exit Kids.

Crazy.

Thanks again - I really apprreciate it!

You've never been able to delete or uninstall core programs for either Windows or Mac.  For example, I don't use Safari but, I can't remove it.  You need to get into your setting and make a different browser your default.  If you don't, anytime a program or a link is clickable, it will bring up Edge.