Respected Contributor

Re: WiFi, what is it and how do you get connected to it?????

On 8/21/2014 Perkup said:
On 8/21/2014 sidsmom said:
On 8/21/2014 violann said: I am a person who despises the use of acronyms. In this day and age, life is often inscrutable.

Too bad QVC doesn't do this...oh, wait.

Another vote with you here. And it's not just QVC. The people on this board often assume you know what XZA (or whatever) is and go on and on about it when many of us have no idea what they are talking about. I wish everyone here would spell out what they are talking about at least in the first line or so - they would get more answers that way.

Did it ever occur to you to state in your post you are a complete beginner? None of us are mind readers and have no idea the skill level of those posting. The more information included in your question results in a better answer.

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 glb613 said:
On 8/21/2014 violann said: I am a person who despises the use of acronyms. In this day and age, life is often inscrutable.

Another vote with you here. And it's not just QVC. The people on this board often assume you know what XZA (or whatever) is and go on and on about it when many of us have no idea what they are talking about. I wish everyone here would spell out what they are talking about at least in the first line or so - they would get more answers that way.

Did it ever occur to you to state in your post you are a complete beginner? None of us are mind readers and have no idea the skill level of those posting. The more information included in your question results in a better answer.

Clear communications are a two-way street. I don't spell out or explain things that are pretty global (wi-fi... not going to explain that unless I'm asked, sorry) and do think the burden is on the new person to ask about those. But QVC forum users to tend to initialize a lot of things that you don't see talked about outside of these forums. If you go to the WEN forums, you'll see people talking about the SAM RTM. That means nothing to anyone outside of that group and it looks like a weird code. It's also frustrating to read, when when I'm familiar with the initializations - someone will always throw out an uncommon weird one. That's also going to alienate new users right away. I spell things out the first time I use them in a post and then use the initialization. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Respected Contributor

For the record, as I didn't see this in any of the previous posts...

WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity (fidelity being the quality of audio/visual signal).

I can't imagine anyone going in to a store to buy a computer and know absolutely nothing about them and yet not ask tons of questions! I also can't imagine anyone buying a computer and then calling a neighbor all angry and upset! If the neighbor knew you were knowledgeable regarding computers, they should have talked to you first! My neighbors frequently call or visit me BEFORE they go buy anything to get helpful hint or even to request I go with them (which I'm always happy to do).

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity (fidelity being the quality of audio/visual signal).

I can't imagine anyone going in to a store to buy a computer and know absolutely nothing about them and yet not ask tons of questions! I also can't imagine anyone buying a computer and then calling a neighbor all angry and upset! If the neighbor knew you were knowledgeable regarding computers, they should have talked to you first! My neighbors frequently call or visit me BEFORE they go buy anything to get helpful hint or even to request I go with them (which I'm always happy to do).

Hi, Buck-i-Nana! Nice to see you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Actually, WiFi doesn't stand for wireless fidelity. It's just a catchy name the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance chose and "wireless fidelity" was part of a tag line they used later (they say with regret). I looked quickly to find a description better than I can explain. Here's a link with the info from one of the people who helped pick the name:

WiFi isn't short for "Wireless Fidelity"

link goes to: http://boingboing.net/2005/11/08/wifi-isnt-short-for.html

(Mindless trivia for today!{#emotions_dlg.blushing})

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 8/21/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 8/21/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Hi, Buck-i-Nana! Nice to see you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Actually, WiFi doesn't stand for wireless fidelity. It's just a catchy name the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance chose and "wireless fidelity" was part of a tag line they used later (they say with regret). I looked quickly to find a description better than I can explain. Here's a link with the info from one of the people who helped pick the name:

WiFi isn't short for "Wireless Fidelity"

link goes to: http://boingboing.net/2005/11/08/wifi-isnt-short-for.html

(Mindless trivia for today!{#emotions_dlg.blushing})

So basically, the Wi is the important part because it is definitely WIreless. The alliance may regret linking the made up term to a spelled out phrase, but from a basic user perspective as demonstrated here, I don't think they should regret doing it.

Thanks for the trivia though dBd, I will file it away with all the other mindless trivia that seems to fill my mind! Unfortunately, I have so much of that trivia stored that I frequently forget the important stuff!

Honored Contributor

This was a tongue-in-cheek comment. The simple fact that "QVC" is an acronym & we post on here on a regular basis...doesn't make it hard to understand. Irony.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I am taking the above underlined the wrong way, but to me it is coming across as a undeserved criticism of those on this forum that always try to help others.

I can't speak for the others on this board that always "offer help", I can only speak for myself. The only way I know how to reply to a question is based on the information given by the one asking the question.

If you've ever read one of my replies(answers)you will seldom find one that is short on words. Many like to call my posts(replies) novels, and there is a reason they do so. I usually reply asking the one asking the question to be more specific about their question and if they don't understand something to ask me. If I don't know something I will tell them "I don't know".

Many go out of their way to try to explain things in the simplest terms they know how when they know the person to which they are replying is very much a novice when it comes to whatever device they are asking the questions about.

Don't a general statement as you made above if fair to the many here that take extra steps to make sure those asking the questions understand what they are saying. Why would I spend time typing a reply to someone knowing that probably don't have a clue what I am talking about? It would be a waste of my time and the one that was reading it.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Instead of same ""the people on this board"" why don't you just say their names? If you think I am one of them I would sure like to know.

Never mind. I thought my other post did not go through because of an ""error message"".

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I don't see a problem with asking if you don't know what an acronym stands for. People ask all the time on the WEN forum and nobody makes fun, they just post the answer to clear it up.

Respected Contributor

I love my home WiFi, but I WILL NOT connect to any other WiFi......I don't trust any but my own. I have enough data usage on my iPhone to be able to log on to the internet when I'm not at home even though it seems everywhere I go, a WiFi connection will pop up for me to connect to it.....just don't want to take a chance.