Super Contributor

Why don't they demo HOW to do things with electronics?

Why can't the hosts or vendors demo what the items can do, not just tell us they can. A good example is a Tracfone. They hold the phone up, slide the screens around,tell us how wonderfully clear the screen is, open apps, show a photo, etc., but they seldom demo how to actually do something. Same goes for tablets, tv's, sound bars. HSN is about 100% guilty of this, QVC is a little better with this.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why don't they demo HOW to do things with electronics?

@WildDunes wrote:

Why can't the hosts or vendors demo what the items can do, not just tell us they can. A good example is a Tracfone. They hold the phone up, slide the screens around,tell us how wonderfully clear the screen is, open apps, show a photo, etc., but they seldom demo how to actually do something. Same goes for tablets, tv's, sound bars. HSN is about 100% guilty of this, QVC is a little better with this.

QVC is a retailer and is selling you a product.  They are not there to teach you how to use a device.  I can't imagine anything more boring than a host showing a step by step instruction video. 

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes wrote:

what do you want to have demo'd?  

Honored Contributor

You can find how-to videos and information on google.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

You can find how-to videos and information on google.

exactly,  

have been told the internetz will tell you pretty much anything :-)

Esteemed Contributor

The internet, especially youtube, can show how to use anything.  However, I think it would be good for the Q to also show how to use electronics and to do it on Q2.  Since that channel is mostly pre-recorded shows, they could easily have how-to-use electronics shows scheduled.  For those who are not proficient in using electronics, that could really help, especially since we all seem to have large televisions and it would be easier to see on a large screen rather than the computer.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Part of the challenge is many devices do so much that you could take several hours and barely scratch the surface. Take a smartphone for example. They're obviously a phone. But they're also a camera with many features and settings. They're also a GPS unit. They can do much of what a computer does. You can record audio with them You can use them as a calendar. You can use them as a calculator. You can use them as a clock, timer, stopwatch. You can use them as an e-reader. Any one of those features to describe in detail could take a half-hour or more. To show you in detail every feature on a smartphone and how they worked would likely take the better part of a full day.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Phones have instruction manuals/user guides.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't watched a QVC Tracfone presentation lately, so I don't know what they do or don't show.  I know that HSN was never good at it, always just waxing lyrical about what great photos a phone would take.  That's about all they would do; rave about the photos and wave the phone around.

QVC used to have a Tracfone rep who was excellent at going through the features of any phone and actually showing you how some of the most important things worked.  She could also answer any questions that were asked.  She knew the product.

For someone new to a smartphone, it does help to have basic things explained before a purchase is made.  It's easy for those familiar with them (or technology in general), to dismiss someone else's concerns.

However, @WildDunes , every Tracfone sold has a tutorial on the Tracfone website.  Or as others have said, you can google just about any question and get a lot of good information.  I don't know which phone you're thinking of, but there are lots of reviews out there, too, to help you decide.

(ETA:  Or you can always ask questions on these forums.  Posters here are very helpful.)

Honored Contributor

@WildDunes    Two weeks later after you get the phone, would you remember what they zipped through and showed you how to do something?  Better to just play with it after it's received. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment