Respected Contributor

Why does my computer run so slow?

I have contacted my internet provider and they said everything is ok. It takes forever to pull something up or type something. I have cleared all my cookies and cache but it didn't help. Thanks for any information.

Contributor

Re: Why does my computer run so slow?

I was having the same problem for a couple of months.  Finally gave up and took it to Best Buy for repair.  I had some viruses.  They cleaned it all up and now it runs so fast I can hardly keep up with it.

Respected Contributor

@StarsmamaThanks, I will check it out.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I have contacted my internet provider and they said everything is ok. It takes forever to pull something up or type something. I have cleared all my cookies and cache but it didn't help. Thanks for any information.

Chances are it's infected with some type of malware.  You can clean it yourself with the proper security software.  Update your antivirus program and run a complete scan.  Download the free version of Malwarebytes, update the definitions and run a complete scan. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find a dozen programs or more which are in the startup group running in the background draining your computer's resources.  I use CCleaner to not only remove TIF but to remove programs in the startup group.  It's a free download and easy to use. 

Respected Contributor

malwarebytesi is good too - the free version.  (malwarebytes.com.)

Respected Contributor

Thanks, I will try this. I appreciate all your help.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no ... a very slow computer is a sign of a malware problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

@VenturaHighwaywrote:

@VenturaHighway .. I agree with the other posters.  You probably have some sort of virus.  As others have mentioned, Malwarebytes is a  good program to get to clean up your computer.  

Esteemed Contributor

Something else to consider is cleaning the register.  Just don't forget to do a backup before cleaning.  CCleaner does a good job at registy cleaning.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Starsmamawrote:

I was having the same problem for a couple of months.  Finally gave up and took it to Best Buy for repair.  I had some viruses.  They cleaned it all up and now it runs so fast I can hardly keep up with it.

My computer needs some loving care, out of curiosity, how much did Best Buy charge you to speed things up?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam