Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't you add more questions for the tracfones? the page is blank

The 4G service will be around for a while yet. At least ten more years from what I've read. The newer 5G phones are just now starting to crack the $600 mark (The Samsung A71) and until they're available in the lower-priced tiers ($100 or so) the 4G service will be continued. The 5G will eventually take over, but we're looking at ten years or so before it does.

I'd expect to see 5G move down to budget phones in the next year or two. Technology evolves quickly in the phone market. A phone like the $90 Moto G7 Optimo Maxx that I just bought has stats that would rival a flagship phone of three or four years ago. In another year or two (maybe three) you'll find cheap phones that rival the $1400+ flagship phones of today.

Much of what the flagship phones do they do through software and once it's written, the cost is largely borne. Tossing it on a lower-end phone doesn't really cost the company much at that point. Camera sensors and the other hardware in phones is slightly variable in cost, but typically there isn't a huge difference in cost. You're seeing flagship phones with ridiculously large 100+ megapixel sensors these days just because they can do it, but practically, very, very few people need a 100+ megapixel camera unless you're looking to count the nose hairs on someone a hundred feet away in a photo.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@sipp if you buy a new smartphone, the triple minute feature will not transfer to it per this article that was updated in June of this year.  This is a reputable blogsite.  Your current triple minute phone will still triple until you transfer your service to a new phone.

https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2017/08/tracfone-ends-triple-minutes-for-life.html 

Respected Contributor

RE: Triple minutes... it seems the new smart phones appear NOT to triple the minutes...so if you have an OLD phone that does, and you're going to transfer the remaining minutes to the NEW phone, buy a card(s) for the OLD phone, load them to triple the minutes, then transfer to the NEW phone.

That's my plan. The new phone has no idea when you bought that minute card for the old phone. Buy the biggest you can afford, add it to the OLD phone, then transfer to the new.

The new smartphones don't triple minutes. That way, during your one-time transfer from old to new, you will move over the most amount of minutes.

I have about 4000 minutes on my old phone ( i'm not a phone jabberer and just buy cards to keep it active).

BUT....I think from now on, it's cheaper to just buy a new phone packup like the recent LG 6.1"  QVC offered. At that price, it's cheaper than ONE one year card.!!!

( for people like me who don't use the phone for every day jabber...!!)

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen , with a smartphone, if you don't need anything but service, there is a way you can add 365 days of service on the tracfone website for around $55. Let me know if you ever need to know how to do this.

Valued Contributor

I just posted last week asking if they would triple minutes continuesly and APRIL said they would.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

I just posted last week asking if they would triple minutes continuesly and APRIL said they would.

As stated in numerous posts above this one, minutes only triple on phones that have a triple minute feature.  Smartphones do not have a triple minute feature.