Trusted Contributor

Update your five year old laptop since it has Windows 7, or buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it?  My laptop does have other issues----I cannot get it to download Chrome as my browser and it sometimes makes a loud noise as if a fan is whirring and loose.  Then the big question----which computer to purchase if I go that route? 

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Buy new.

Get the features and speed of new.

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I really value the portability of my tablets. Carried comfortably in one hand from bedroom to back yard to favorite spot on the sofa. I decided I wouldn't want (and don't need) anything more cumbersome. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't sink money into a five year old computer.  It had a good life, time to move on.

Regular Contributor

I'd get a new computer while you still have the option of looking around for a new one. The worst time to buy anything is when you really NEED it. I went to a locally owned computer store.Told them what I wanted in a computer (CD/DVD drive was one of them, old school I know!) which narrowed the selection down. I paid more than if I went to a box store or ordered it online BUT they customized the computer for me taking out all the junk I didn't want/need & recommended things I might find useful. Plus they are there for me if I have a problem since I'm tech challenged!  My old computer was making the same kind of whirring noise & was wearing out. This new Acer doesn't have any moving parts to wear out. Good Luck

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

It sounds like time for an upgrade. Windows 10 has so much more to offer, and it sounds like something can be overworking your processor, serious hardware issues, dirty fan, viruses, etc... It really is not wort the financial investment to fix the five year old with outdated software. Which computer to purchase depends on your specific needs. You can try browsing the computers on this site, or try a place like Best Buy or Costco. They have knowledgeable techies that can help you make a more informed choice. I hope you can find what you are looking for.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss , definitely buy new.  LM

Respected Contributor

Everytime I've ever had  a computer ''fixed'',  it's still never worked right.  I won't ever do that again, just buy new.

Respected Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Update your five year old laptop since it has Windows 7, or buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it?  My laptop does have other issues----I cannot get it to download Chrome as my browser and it sometimes makes a loud noise as if a fan is whirring and loose.  Then the big question----which computer to purchase if I go that route? 

Microsoft's support for Windows 7 next week.  That means new security updates will cease. Since it's old and starting to fail, buy new.  If you want to stick with Windows, start shopping and compare models with similar specs.  Check your weekly ads for sales, check online and go from there.

I have a Windows 7 computer which runs fine and I'm keeping it since I rarely use it and only for a organization I volunteer and games.  It's more compatible with Office than my Macs.  I  plan on keeping the security software updated and will run regular scans.  I wouldn't continue using a Windows 7 as a main computer especially for shopping or banking due to the security risk. 

Honored Contributor

Buy new if you are going to use it to get to the internet.

Don't buy a new one if you are only going to use it offline.

Honored Contributor

I think your laptop has served you well, I wouldn't put anymore money into it, I would treat myself and buy a new one.