Trusted Contributor

Re: Where can I buy a laptop with Windows 7 or Windows XP??

@apple1964 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

OMG, it always amazes me why anyone would want a brand new computer with very old software that is not going to be supported by Microsoft much longer. What is the point of that O/P?

I absolutely understand it. It's about comfort and familiarity. Most people don't like change, especially when it's change they don't feel they're in control over. 

Some people never got training on the software they use now and struggle daily, so giving them something new isn't really going to make them happy. They also don't really understand the importance of support, updates, etc. There are people out there who never update anything, they just turn the computer on and use it until it won't work anymore. That's why Microsoft pushes people into automatic updates.

Maybe you've never had IT roll out a new OS or software update while you're in the middle of a major project, but when you're on a deadline or in the middle of learning new things for you job, having to learn a new OS or get used to where all the commands are in new software is a big hassle. My own company has undergone a merger and we're all in the middle of learning new systems, new processes, and changing everything. IT was about to roll out Office 2016 in the middle of all this without even checking to ensure it's compatible with all of the programs we use (it is not), and people had to tell them to stop and hold off until some other systems are updated. New software can be a big problem and I'm not surprised when anyone is hesitant to change.

Whatever...even with your long drawn out post still don't understand what the big deal is. The new technology is much more interesting then the old, They are going to have to move on because new technology moves very quickly. Our office as well has had a new upgrade with no problems this year. People should learn the new technology or else sadly they will be  left behind.

Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least what anyone else wants to use for a computer. It never has. 

Businesses are still using Windows 7. Some of them just changed over from using XP. It costs people money to buy a new system, whether it's a business or a personal purchase.

Some people are on a budget, and they may not have the money to spend on a brand new system. Every dollar might literally make a difference to them.

A refurbished Windows 7 computer is quite inexpensive, whether someone decides to choose a desktop set-up or a laptop, for example. 

Honored Contributor

Up to about two years ago (I think, maybe two and a half now) a local nursing home was still using computers with WIndows 95 as the OS. I thought it was incredibly risky and stupid but their computer guy insisted it was fine as long as they kept the security software up to date. They were buying new computers, but still installing Windows 95 on them as that's the operating system everyone there was used to using and their software had originally been designed for Windows 95.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Up to about two years ago (I think, maybe two and a half now) a local nursing home was still using computers with WIndows 95 as the OS. I thought it was incredibly risky and stupid but their computer guy insisted it was fine as long as they kept the security software up to date. They were buying new computers, but still installing Windows 95 on them as that's the operating system everyone there was used to using and their software had originally been designed for Windows 95.

Hi @gardenman,

I saw an ad not too long ago where someone was looking for someone with Windows 97 experience, along with Office 2007 experience as well.

All of the other software experience requirements that they wanted was for all older software, too.