Respected Contributor

When your QVC Tracphone year is up

[ Edited ]

Is it better & easier to add talk/text/minutes or just buy a new phone and plan? What about transferring your number?  Or is it easier to get a new number?  I only use my Tracphone for a back-up phone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When your QVC Tracphone year is up

@FranandZoe 

@FranandZoe wrote:

Is it better & easier to add talk/text/minutes or just buy a new phone and plan? What about transferring your number?  Or is it easier to get a new number?  I only use my Tracphone for a back-up phone.

Last year in March my was expiring and HSN had one that day for 59+ with all the data, talk, and tex for1500 ea., so I brought, because it would be 59.00 to extend my present one for another year.  Didn't make sense to keep old on.  Now this one is expiring, so I will look for another deal.

I was able to transfer everything from the old phone to new one.  

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@FranandZoe 

@FranandZoe wrote:

Last year in March my was expiring and HSN had one that day for 59+ with all the data, talk, and tex for1500 ea., so I brought, because it would be 59.00 to extend my present one for another year.  Didn't make sense to keep old on.  Now this one is expiring, so I will look for another deal.

I was able to transfer everything from the old phone to new one.  

@qvcaddition:  Thanks!  I'll check for deals.

Respected Contributor

If it's a backup phone I guess it doesn't matter.  But, why don't you just buy extra minutes, data or text time?  You don't have to buy a whole year.  

I bought the TSV recently (Galaxy A13) and like the phone.  When my time runs out I'll just refill.  I keep a phone until it's outdated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tracfone service is sold by the minutes and time.  If your time is for 365 days and you still have minutes, texts, and data when the time expires, your service is shut off.  You just can't add minutes if your time ran out. You need time as well.

You can just add time if you have minutes, data and texts left.  I have done this a few times.  It used to be inexpensive, but costs have gone up.

I go to their website and hunt and peck.  Finding just time...I always add 365 days is not easy. I think they hide it on purpose.

If I can find a good deal to add just time  I go for it. I have never used all my minutes. if not, I look for a good price for time and minutes.

Sometimes it is cheaper to just buy a new phone. If you have minutes, data, text left on the old phone, they can be transferred to the newly purchased phone.

No matter what you chose, you can keep your phone number if you wish.  I have found out that if your time expires...as mine did once for a week or two, and I didn't notice, they allow you to just pick up again with no loss or penalities.  Your minutes won't be lost.

sorry about the font size...QVC is acting up.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

If it's a backup phone I guess it doesn't matter.  But, why don't you just buy extra minutes, data or text time?  You don't have to buy a whole year.  

I bought the TSV recently (Galaxy A13) and like the phone.  When my time runs out I'll just refill.  I keep a phone until it's outdated.

If your phone comes with 365 days, that's all you get.  When time runs out you are unable to just add more minutes, data and text.  You must add time too. Time can be added in 30, 90 or 365 days...might be other choices for days as well.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

@FranandZoe 

Have used TracFone for many years. On all but 1 year, I have bought a new phone before my year expires.

My present Samsung year expires in April. I paid $59.98 for it when I bought it. The Samsung I bought a month or so ago, is a newer version on my present phone. Paid the same $59.98 for the new one as I did for my present one. Comes out to $4.99 per month.

I can't even remember the last time I actually used it. Just recently turned it on to make sure of my 1 year expiration date. That's how often mine gets used. Yes, it has all the, what I call, do-dads, which I have no interest in using.

Cheapest route I have found over many years of using TracFone. My wife does the same, but here's is used to back up her Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S21 monthly plan.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It's easier for me to just purchase the cheapest time and minutes (since I have so many) every few months than  having to set up and get used to a new phone for me .  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe  - Carmie has explained it all very well.

DH and I currently have the Moto G Stylus phones and, when our service days are up in October, I'll just add another year on the Tracfone website.

We like our phones and don't want to switch yet.

In order to do that, at the best possible price, add something like 1000 texts for $5 to your cart.  You should then see the option to add another year of service.  (It used to be $49.99, but I'm sure it's gone up).

Then just check out and it will be added to your current phone.

If you decide to just purchase a new phone to get the year's service, you can do that at any time before your current time expires.  You can transfer everything from your current phone to the new one and the service/minutes, etc. that you get with the new phone will be added on - so, will extend the service date for another year from your current expiration date.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much everyone!