Honored Contributor

Re: What are we to do when DVD's are no longer around to be played on VCR's???

The wonderful Autumn Tale from Eric Rohmer is only available on VHS.  The DVDs only play in non-US areas.  

Autumn Tale [VHS]

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

The wonderful Autumn Tale from Eric Rohmer is only available on VHS.  The DVDs only play in non-US areas.  

DVD players now play PAL as well as NTSC DVDs.  The manual explaines how to switch between the 2 manually.  Some do so automatically.  A message will flash on the tv.  You use your remote to select.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Mz iMac

I will have to check my manual. Although reading online, it seems Sony DVD players (which I have, rather basic model) are the hardest to switch over.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

My 2 DVD players are Sony.  Manual is self exclamatory.  Not complicated. 

TV screen option is so much easier.  Point & click. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GingerPeach

My 2 DVD players are Sony.  Manual is self exclamatory.  Not complicated. 

TV screen option is so much easier.  Point & click. Smiley LOL

@Mz iMac

My manual says only that the player is set for one region, but gives no explantion about setting or changing to another.  

Copied from online version of manual:

Region code

Your player has a region code printed on the back of the unit and only will play commercial DVDs (playback only) labeled with identical region codes. This system is used to protect copyrights. Commercial DVDs labeled will also play on this player. Depending on the commercial DVD, there may be no region code indication, even though playing the commercial DVD is prohibited by area restrictions.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Bummer Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I was so hoping, @Mz iMac.  Europeans are so much more forward-thinking.  I read that all their players apparently play anything.

Well, next time I buy one, I will be sure to verify playing region and whether it can be changed.  I appreciate the heads-up.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Go to https://www.videohelp dot com website.  In the search bar type: DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes

The site will show you how to hack your model DVD player to play all regions.  If you do not understand the instructions, post in their forum area.

Honored Contributor

There are no comments for my player on any portion of that site.  No hacks, no instructions.  

Honored Contributor

Way back in the 70s when VCR came out - my DH "bet" on the beta format tapes.  We had stacks of them  ... then the world went with the larger format VHS tapes.  Sony stopped making the players and the tapes.  We found a local charity that were glad to take all the beta tapes off our hands

Then, he bought a laser disk player that played the dsks that were the size of a 33 rpm record.

The laser disks and player had issues and we ended up giving the stuff to a neighborhood kids who liked to "fix" things. 

Remember vinyl records?  We had hundreds of them in 33, 45 and 78 rpm.  We were able to sell most of the records to a local used record store.  My brother still has a great record collection and is able to keep his record player working.

Then came the 8-track tapes.  Fortunately, thay weren't around long enough so we only had a few of them.  Then cassettes.  I have several hundred of them here, along with several hundred CDs.  I have a small trunk full of VHS movies and maybe 100 DVDs.  I have a combo VHS/DVD player and the DVD part doesn't work.  Tape part does work.  I have a stand alone DVD player that works, and a portable DVD play that I think still works.

My Sony Walkman still works and I found some cassette players (Boom Boxes) at Amazon.  I have 3 CD players that still work.