Trusted Contributor

My Kaspersky is about to expire. I don't want to have to spend $50 for another year, but I don't trust the free ones. Need some advice about what to do.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What anti-virus do you use?

[ Edited ]

I have a Mac, I dont use an anti-virus softeware.

If you have a Windows computer, there's a built in antivirus and if my memory is well, I beleive its called Windows Defender?

Here, I found the link: windows defender

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Esteemed Contributor

I've had Kaspersky for about 18 years ... I'll keep paying because ... well, it works for me.

Honored Contributor

We use Windows Defender that comes free with Win 10. We also use CCleaner free version plus have the paid version of Malwarebytes that we don't pay the yearly fee since we have had it since before they started that.

Respected Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

I have a Mac, I dont use an anti-virus softeware.

If you have a Windows computer, there's a built in antivirus and if my memory is well, I beleive its called Windows Defender?

Here, I found the link: windows defender

Yes and it's free. I needed help setting up a printer so called a computer guy that a friend recommended. He did it for me. No more spending money on antivirus.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My Kaspersky is about to expire. I don't want to have to spend $50 for another year, but I don't trust the free ones. Need some advice about what to do.

JMO, the program you are using is excellent. You will have a hard time finding a security suite for $50.

Does your ISP provide a program with service? 

Window Defender is nice free software. It is not a complete security program. It does not protect your email or tell you which web sites are safe.

I use Norton Security protection given by Comcast with internet service. 

Esteemed Contributor

Be safe and pay for a good anti-virus. I love McAfee LiveSafe, but also use the windows program and another through my ISP with internet service for a small monthly fee. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I use Norton, offered free from Comcast; although I'm sure it's hidden in their exorbitant monthly bills.  

It's the first anti-virus that I ever used that didn't miss bugs.  I also use two stand alones...Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.  Run those once weekly just to be sure.

I also use Microsoft's Malicious Software Tool and Microsoft Safety Scanner.

I'm a little paranoid since one virus crashed my Windows operating system. Couldn't be fixed.  Had to buy a new computer.  

Honored Contributor

I have a Mac.  However, I also have a Windows machine which I do not use on the internet.  So, I have an Intego package on my Mac which protects for both Mac and Windows.  If I want to download something to use on my Windows machine, I'll do on my Mac and then transfer it over to my Windows machine.

Also, I back up fairly often, but not continuously.  The reason I don't do it continuously, I'm afraid that if I got ransomware it would be saved to the backup drive.  That's how these businesses and hospitals have ended up having to pay the ransom.  They continuously back up and the ransomware gets onto all their backup machines, ruining them until they pay the ransom to get the code to recover their data.

Honored Contributor

I disable Windows Defender, I dont trust it to do a complete and through job.

I use McAfee, its expensive, but I never have any trouble.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)