Honored Contributor

Well I learned a new trick -- Apple IPad

As I stated in a previous post my IPad is slowly dying.  I called to order new one today and of course not being shipped until Feb 5-13. Thank you to those who gave me info.

The support/sales tech told me this is from being dropped and the interior cable is "loose".  Told me to shut off lightly tap apple logo a few times - wait a few minutes & it will reset. 

Hmmmmm I did and it has a clear screen although he told me will only work so many times.  That's OK although the screen isn't bright or clear can still use it.

Just thought I'd share if anyone else had this issue.  I know my GD uses it and I've not dropped it but she could have --and to think I only worried about the screen cracking🤷‍♀️

A8C6D8D1-08F2-4359-B412-3F0C17EB1BF1.jpeg

E2252A0F-D316-4752-B278-F1E2E713773A.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Re: Well I learned a new trick -- Apple IPad

@homedecor1 

My ipad won’t hold a charge.  It goes from 100 to 60 in twenty minutes.  I have Apple Air gen 2 so it’s kind of old but it worked great until last week.  Have tried everything I can think of as to why this is happening.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip 😉

Honored Contributor

@chloe4578 wrote:

@homedecor1 

My ipad won’t hold a charge.  It goes from 100 to 60 in twenty minutes.  I have Apple Air gen 2 so it’s kind of old but it worked great until last week.  Have tried everything I can think of as to why this is happening.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Your battery is shot.  This has happened to me with every a IPad I had.  Right now my Ipad is doing that.  I keep it plugged in to use it.  

I replaced the battery in the one I had before this one.  I went to Youtube and learned how.  I bought a new battery and adhesive package on ebay.  It was very complicated, but it worked. 

Most people just replace the IPad. Sometimes you might be able to find somone to change out the battery for you, but it  might not be worth it.

I will need to buy a new IPad before spring so I won't have to be tethered to an electrical outlet.

Honored Contributor

I've had three iPads and still have them. The first one is an oldie. No problem with any holding a charge,however, my iPhone 6s needs to be charged every other day and I hardly ever use it. 

Regular Contributor

@Carmie 

Thanks for your help.  I, too, keep it charged most of the day.  I’ve had this one for at least 8 years so I can’t complain, but time for a new one.

Frequent Contributor

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 7 at the apple store for $50.  Had to make an appointment.  I wonder if they replace batteries in  iPads as well?  They really don't push these services (want you to buy a new one lol).  It was worth $50 to delay purchasing a new phone for a while.

Honored Contributor

@dylanfan   I replaced the battery in an IPad once.  I am positive they are designed to not do this.  I had to buy a new battery and then I had to buy an adhesive kit.

The Ipad is sealed and when you open it up, you break the seal.  The battery is against the glass and the components are on top of it.  Everything is wired down.  You have to remove quite a few pieces and disconnect many wires that are small and delicate.  You need tweezers and a magnifying glass.

You have to go  slow and not break or bend anything.  After you place and secure the battery, you get to put all those pieces back together.  When done, you attach the adhesive strips and seal it back up.  I did this while watching how on YouTube.  So I had to keep pausing and viewing it over and over.

If I was doing this for someone else, I would charge a pretty penny.  I am sure those battery places will do the same.  It was so much trouble, that I will just replace the IPad in the future.

My battery is not holding a charge very well. I can get about an hour on a full charge, so I just keep in plugged in when I use it.  It completely drains the battery overnight if I forget to shut it down or keep it plugged in.

I should have gotten a new one before Christmas when Costco had them on sale.  I hesitated and then they were sold out.

I wonder if they will come out with a new model soon or if I should just get one.  I will need a new one by this spring when I travel and won't be near an electric outlet all day..

what to do...what to do...

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

Love my IPhone 6.  It has gone everywhere with me, never want to give it up.

When the charge started failing, I looked on line and found a local

independent who replaced the battery for $45.  Works like a champ.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

iPhone batteries with the adhesive kit and tools are around $25 if you want to replace them yourself.  It's a pretty easy job and well worth it. Way cheaper than buying a new phone and easier than an iPad battery replacement.