Valued Contributor

WHAT? WHERE"S MY Internet connection?

[ Edited ]

Was going to download a security measure on a tablet and went to check my internet connection and my personal connection that i had set up at the time that I bought my router last year- with my own (made up name ) and it's own ip address- which shows up when I check connections- is now missing in action- so only my laptop is connected to the router's address-( at least I CAN connect something)-- but my printer, my tablet and my other laptop are not receiving any connection- I tried contacting router co - they gave me a song and dance telling me their router address was better anyhow because it was secure (BUT MINE WAS TOO) and didn't help at all. Called internet provider- no luck r- called virus protection company- nope- So now what? I googled the problem- seems it DOES happen- but no one knows why (at least they haven't posted why) and they don't have a fix. Haven't been hacked and I'm just wondering if the router went wonky on me and maybe i should buy a new one to be able to fix this. Anyone got answers as to why this would happen and any solutions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT? WHERE"S MY Internet connection?

Hopefully this stuff is not happening because of the newly removed regulation laws on the internet.

Honored Contributor

I'm a little confused, but let's try working through this and see what's happening. Let's start at the basics.

A wireless/Wi-Fi router is basically a two way radio that connects to your modem to let other devices chat back and forth with it and access the Internet. It has to be able to both send and receive signals to work properly. Since it doesn't want just anyone using your Internet it requires a way to identify who's trying to access it and to check and be sure that device is allowed to access it.

So the first question is: Does the transmitter and receiver of the router still work? Since it still works with your one laptop, the answer would seem to be yes. That pretty much rules out a hardware issue. That leaves us with the software side of things.

My best guess, and this is just a guess, is that the laptop that still works with the router is an older one that was set up to work with the router when you first got the router and still retains the old network settings. I'm thinking/guessing the router upgraded it's firmware and reset itself to the original factory settings instead of your updated settings. Your older laptop still had the original settings in it, which is why it still works, while the newer devices you set up using the new password and security don't have the older settings which is why they don't work. (Old network settings never go away on their own unless you delete them. I have an older tablet that I used while my Mom was in the hospital three years ago and if you check the network settings you'll find the hospital network still listed. If I got within range of it again, it would try to connect.)

If that's the case then you can reset the settings on either the router, or your newer devices, so they all are linked once again. The original security settings are typically on a label on the bottom or back of the router. Try taking one of the devices that doesn't currently work and set it to those original, factory settings and chances are it will work.

Companies update their firmware on occasion and when they do they can lose your updated settings. I'm guessing that's what happened here. Since the one device still works, the hardware is fine. It's likely just a software issue where the router reverted to its original settings. You can use those original settings or change the router's settings again, but sticking with the original settings might be easiest. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

Was going to download a security measure on a tablet and went to check my internet connection and my personal connection that i had set up at the time that I bought my router last year- with my own (made up name ) and it's own ip address- which shows up when I check connections- is now missing in action- so only my laptop is connected to the router's address-( at least I CAN connect something)-- but my printer, my tablet and my other laptop are not receiving any connection- I tried contacting router co - they gave me a song and dance telling me their router address was better anyhow because it was secure (BUT MINE WAS TOO) and didn't help at all. Called internet provider- no luck r- called virus protection company- nope- So now what? I googled the problem- seems it DOES happen- but no one knows why (at least they haven't posted why) and they don't have a fix. Haven't been hacked and I'm just wondering if the router went wonky on me and maybe i should buy a new one to be able to fix this. Anyone got answers as to why this would happen and any solutions?

I hope you won't take this wrong but, the way you describe your problems is so difficult to understand.  What do you mean your made-up name?  What is it's own IP address? 

All routers have settings you can change if you get into the router settings. To access the settings for most routers require you type in it's address into the address line of your browser.  Rather than post any other instructions, I'd advise you do a Google search for your router brand and model number.  Search for how to get into the router settings for then enter the model and brand. 

Another possibility is your other devices are trying to connect to a different network within range.  Most devices have settings you can access to see which wireless network they are connected to and what other networks are available.  Get into the settings and see which network it's trying to connect.  If it's not yours, select your wireless network and see what happens. 

Honored Contributor

@sipp@hopiI don't think this has anything to do with Internet neutrality regulations because I've had what I think is the same thing happen on my laptop off and on for several years.  Every once in a while, I get connected to an old connection which is not as secure as it should be.  I, too, have dealt with my provider and try as they might, no one seems to know what to do.

When I want to use any site connected to anything financial, I check and if I'm on the wrong connection, I disconnect and connect my more secure site.  Takes a few seconds, but I feel safer - a little bit.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to check the firewall in your security software. It will tell you what programs have access. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Had an apple computer, and it went belly up. Can only get in thru my little i pad.

Had the computer for 2 yrs and not a lick of problems till 2 days ago. Have to bring to apple store on Thursday and see if they can figure out what is going on. Have absolutely no connection, passwords don’t work, nothing. A mess to say the least

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's the  NEWER laptop that still works-(meaning newer than the 8 year old one- not NEW just bought) it does say that it's connecting to my router's address that I renamed- (which may be why people aren't understanding my post) BUT if the router regressed to it's own settings- shouldn't the name i gave it-still show? Am I explaining this right? IE- when I set up the router- I was given the option to name-ie--- NANCYMARIE----- so when I check my internet connections- it would say NANCY MARIE- not the manufactuers name- ie LINSKI (sp)-- THIS still doesn't explain why it disappeared and my printer, OLD laptop and tablet can't connect to the router if it re-set.i. My tablet is the old gigaset-never used- (Husband wanted to play games on it and  I wanted to put antivirus on it but it can't keep the connection.---  it will only accept google- even though I could access the internet browser- but the connection on that is sketchy at best-and I can't seem to get that to update through google - because it says the address "may have been changed"-- that is simply not true- SO I'm stuck (and after doing various searches on a number of sites- no one has the answers. I think I'm going to try to unplug the router-- act like it's new out of the box- and see if that helps- although the tablet? don't know

Respected Contributor

@sipp wrote:

It's the  NEWER laptop that still works-(meaning newer than the 8 year old one- not NEW just bought) it does say that it's connecting to my router's address that I renamed- (which may be why people aren't understanding my post) BUT if the router regressed to it's own settings- shouldn't the name i gave it-still show? Am I explaining this right? IE- when I set up the router- I was given the option to name-ie--- NANCYMARIE----- so when I check my internet connections- it would say NANCY MARIE- not the manufactuers name- ie LINSKI (sp)-- THIS still doesn't explain why it disappeared and my printer, OLD laptop and tablet can't connect to the router if it re-set.i. My tablet is the old gigaset-never used- (Husband wanted to play games on it and  I wanted to put antivirus on it but it can't keep the connection.---  it will only accept google- even though I could access the internet browser- but the connection on that is sketchy at best-and I can't seem to get that to update through google - because it says the address "may have been changed"-- that is simply not true- SO I'm stuck (and after doing various searches on a number of sites- no one has the answers. I think I'm going to try to unplug the router-- act like it's new out of the box- and see if that helps- although the tablet? don't know

Unplugging the router won't reset it.  Most routers have a reset button located on the router if you want to start over. 

The name you choose is for your wireless network not the name of the router.  Again, it's important you know the right terms to use to get the correct answers. 

Since you haven't identified the brand of router I can only give general advice.  Many routers, my Linksys included, can broadcast in wireless B, and G.  Newer routers also included AC which is a faster signal.  If you older devices are B only and your router is now broadcasting in G only, they won't be able to connect.  You can change this by getting into the router settings.  Go to Google, enter your model number and brand name asking how to get into the router settings.  Once there you can check the settings and change what you want.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

-I guess I should have been clear that I was not just "un-plugging - then plugging it in again but since I said I was going to" act like it was right out of the box"- I assumed it was obvious I was going to do what you explained more clearly- perhaps someone else who might have this problem may have been confused- and you clarified it for them.Since I am not a professional tech (in which case I would prob be able to fix this without asking  on a forum--- may I ask if you are since you seem to be knowledgeable and i see your posts quite often. I must say I felt chastised for not knowing the "correct" explanations and explained the best I could. You DID seem to understand despite this and I appreciate the reply.