Valued Contributor

WHAT IS A DIGITAL FIBER OPTIC CABLE

Can you tell me what is a digital fiber optic cable 4k hdtv.will this help with my new television as the tv speakers are terrible.when people speak is if they are mumbling.would you reccomend a soundbar.

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT IS A DIGITAL FIBER OPTIC CABLE

put that term into your browser will explain it all

Esteemed Contributor

I've read and re-read your question and it just seems confusing.  Seems like you are talking about 2 different things.

digital fiber optic - sounds like your provider (cable company) has installed this from the old cable we use to have.  I think:   fiber optic is a glass type cable - that's what my telephone company told me.  A totally different material which gives you a better picture..

The sound from your new TV - I have a BOSE around sound system connected to one of my TV's.  Mine is  big - BOSE - now they have a much smaller version.

New TV's have a very tiny sound system - that's why TV's can be so slim; but not always better sound.  I would consult a TV shop in your area for advise.

Respected Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

Can you tell me what is a digital fiber optic cable 4k hdtv.will this help with my new television as the tv speakers are terrible.when people speak is if they are mumbling.would you reccomend a soundbar.

It's a type of cable which connects a sound system, like a sound bar or other external speakers, to your TV's digital audio out connection.  My Sony TV only has a digital connection for its audio out.  My current Bose is analog and I had to buy a convertor to hook it up to my TV.  You can buy them online or at a electoinics store. 

In my opinion, the sound quality you have with the intenral speakers on all TVs is horrible.  Do yourself a favor and get an audio system.  You don't have to spend a lot of monay or take up a lot of space. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fiber optics allow for faster transmission of data and the cables are made of glass instead of wire. 

It can be the cable that runs underground and into the house and transmists internet and television signals. Whether or not you have that type is determined by the cable company you choose. It's not available in all locations because someone has to install it in each community and then run it to the houses.

It could also be a cable you use to connect one system to another, like a fiber optic cable from your TV to your cable box or sound system. That you can pick up at the store and you don't have to worry about your cable company.

4K Ultra HD TV is a television screen with ~4000 pixel resolution. Other HD TV models usually offer 1080 pixel resolution. More pixels = better resolution and a clearer image. A 4K screen makes no difference in sound quality.

I don't know if a sound bar would help your situation. If it's a new TV, it's possible the speakers are defective or or other sound delivery parts are defective and I don't know if  a sound bar would help. I would have a technician come and look at it under warranty and return if it is defective.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All it is a special audio cable used to connect your TV to an additional exterior speaker or a home theater system. The cable is also called "optical audio cable" or just "optical cable".

But before you go and buy a soundbar be sure and check your TV audio settings. Some TVs have the option to adjust the sound mode from movie, sports, music and even speaking voice selections. You have to do this using the remote control that came with your TV and not the one that controls the cable/sat box. @heart of savino

I was having difficulties hearing what was being said on some of the shows I was watching because it seemed like the background music and other sounds were interfering with the quality of the speech being delivered. So I adjusted my audio to 'clear voice' on my LG TV settings. Now I can hear what is being said rather than the other stuff.

Honored Contributor

There are also fiber optic HDMI cables these days which cost a lot, but unless you're using a really long HDMI cable, they're not very effective. There are a lot of retailers pushing the fiber optic HDMI cables, but in the real world there's no real difference unless you're using a cable that's 35-50 feet long. (Some of the fiber optic cables promise 18.2 gbps while "normal" HDMI cables can only deliver 18.0 gbps.) Of course, you'd need a source capable of sending data at 18.2 gbps, and there aren't a lot (maybe any?) such sources. The fiber optic HDMI cables are technological marvels in that they take the "normal" digital signal and convert it in to light impulses at one end, and then converts it back to a "normal" digital signal at the other end. It's impressive that they've been able to do it, but unless you've got something capable of sending data at 18.2 gbps. That's gigabits per second,  that's a whole lot of bits.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@heart of savino wrote:

my new television as the tv speakers are terrible.when people speak is if they are mumbling.

You may have the sound on the "Mono" setting.  Suggest that you go into your TV settings>Sound (or something similar) & set it to "Stereo."

If there is an "Audio" setting, adjust the audio sound as well as the audio sound quality.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

You shouldn’t have a problem with sound on a new HDTV. The sound needs adjusting or your tv is defective.Your tv is under warranty you should have someone take a look at it for you.

I bought a new 75 inch HDTV in June from Best Buy. The Geek Squad came & set it up for me.My sound is great. The salesman in the store told me that I didn’t need a sound bar & he was right. I used a Bose for my previous tv.The sound on the new tv is better than that one!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

You shouldn’t have a problem with sound on a new HDTV. The sound needs adjusting or your tv is defective.Your tv is under warranty you should have someone take a look at it for you.

I bought a new 75 inch HDTV in June from Best Buy. The Geek Squad came & set it up for me.My sound is great. The salesman in the store told me that I didn’t need a sound bar & he was right. I used a Bose for my previous tv.The sound on the new tv is better than that one!!

That's not always true.  Most, if not all, TVs I've listened to have terrible internal speakers.  The TVs are so thin, there isn't enough room for a quality speaker.